DbBrowser : a module to create mysqll/postgresql based paginated CGI datagrids

eddieia

This module provide a quick way to code pg/mysql db based cgi tabulated
interfaces. The module stores the base sql query, allow columns
definition(basic field display or custom function call) and search
criterias definition (comparison operators are automatically managed
depending on criteria type:textbox,numberbox,datepicker,listbox,foreign
key/primary key driven listbox, "boolean" listbox).
After theses declarations, the grid is ready to be displayed through 2
method calls (criterias and datagrid).

I currently use this module in my projects under Unix/linux, I have not
test it under windows yet ;). You can download it (with samples and
documentation)at :

http://eiannuccelli.free.fr/html

regards

A. Sinan Unur

Subject: DbBrowser : a module to create mysqll/postgresql based
paginated CGI datagrids

First off, thank you for your contribution.
driven listbox, "boolean" listbox). After theses declarations, the
grid is ready to be displayed through 2 method calls (criterias and
datagrid).

Just wanted to note that the plural of criterion is criteria, not
criterias. Please do not be offended by this correction, as I am not a
native English speaker either. *I* would not want the public interface of
my module to have a spelling error, and thought you might want to fix it.

Sinan.

Tad McClellan

A. Sinan Unur said:
Just wanted to note that the plural of criterion is criteria, not
criterias. Please do not be offended by this correction, as I am not a
native English speaker either.

That is irrelevant.

Not being a native _Latin_ speaker would be the criterion for being
expected to know how to pluralize to criteria. :)

(ie. it is Latin rules, not English rules)

Charlton Wilbur

TMcC> Not being a native _Latin_ speaker would be the criterion
TMcC> for being expected to know how to pluralize to criteria.

As we're being pedantic.... Greek.

g, d, & r,

Charlton

David H. Adler

TMcC> Not being a native _Latin_ speaker would be the criterion
TMcC> for being expected to know how to pluralize to criteria.

As we're being pedantic.... Greek.

Speaking of pedantry, just because it's so in Latin or Greek doesn't
change the fact that it is actually a correct english plural as well.

:)

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach Charlton Wilbur:
TMcC> Not being a native _Latin_ speaker would be the criterion
TMcC> for being expected to know how to pluralize to criteria.

As we're being pedantic.... Greek.

To be even more pedantic, it is an artificial word consisting of Greek
and Latin elements. Note that in English ('criterion') the Greek roots
are emphasized, whereas in German ('Kriterium') the Latin ones are
stressed.

Tassilo

Charlton Wilbur

TvP> To be even more pedantic, it is an artificial word consisting
TvP> of Greek and Latin elements. Note that in English
TvP> ('criterion') the Greek roots are emphasized, whereas in
TvP> German ('Kriterium') the Latin ones are stressed.

The New Oxford American Dictionary, as available on my Mac, indicates
that the etymology is from Greek krit{\=e}rion, 'means of judging,'
related to krit{\=e}s, 'critic,' and that the -on/-a form 'follows the
original Greek.' (I don't know how the OAD handles Greek
transliteration, so I've reproduced it here as it appears there.) It
would seem that the English word comes directly from Greek, with no
Latin influence. The -on/-ia suggests a third declension neuter noun
in Latin, but the same paradigm exists in Greek as well.

It may be that the German word Kriterium made a stop in Latin before
getting there; I don't have a German etymological resource easily
available to me to check that. (I might have to go to the university
library, which would certainly involve getting off the couch, and that
is too much energy to invest in pedantry right now.)

Charlton

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach Charlton Wilbur:
TvP> To be even more pedantic, it is an artificial word consisting
TvP> of Greek and Latin elements. Note that in English
TvP> ('criterion') the Greek roots are emphasized, whereas in
TvP> German ('Kriterium') the Latin ones are stressed.

The New Oxford American Dictionary, as available on my Mac, indicates
that the etymology is from Greek krit{\=e}rion, 'means of judging,'
related to krit{\=e}s, 'critic,' and that the -on/-a form 'follows the
original Greek.' (I don't know how the OAD handles Greek
transliteration, so I've reproduced it here as it appears there.) It
would seem that the English word comes directly from Greek, with no
Latin influence. The -on/-ia suggests a third declension neuter noun
in Latin, but the same paradigm exists in Greek as well.

Indeed, the word itself is originally Greek but it also existed in a
latinized version ('ars critica') [1]. But neither English nor German
use either the Latin or Greek pure form: English replaced the Greek 'k'
with 'c', whereas in German the 'K' remained but a Latin ending is
used. So it's a bit in the Greek-Latin twilight.

[1]:
<http://germazope.uni-trier.de/Projects/WBB/woerterbuecher/dwb/wbgui?lemid=GK14446>

Tassilo

Anno Siegel

Charlton Wilbur said:
It may be that the German word Kriterium made a stop in Latin before
getting there; I don't have a German etymological resource easily
available to me to check that.

German has a tendency, frowned upon by language purists, to Latinize
the Greek "...ion" ending to "..ium" in foreign words, even if the
word was taken directly from Greek. It happens in English too, see
"plectrum".

Anno

A. Sinan Unur

(e-mail address removed)-berlin.de (Anno Siegel) wrote in @mamenchi.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE:
German has a tendency, frowned upon by language purists, to Latinize
the Greek "...ion" ending to "..ium" in foreign words, even if the
word was taken directly from Greek. It happens in English too, see
"plectrum".

Thanks everyone. This has been very educational.

Sinan