    documentation)at :

    http://eiannuccelli.free.fr/html

    regards

    eddieia, Aug 21, 2005

  2. "eddieia" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Subject: DbBrowser : a module to create mysqll/postgresql based
    > paginated CGI datagrids

    First off, thank you for your contribution.

    > driven listbox, "boolean" listbox). After theses declarations, the
    > grid is ready to be displayed through 2 method calls (criterias and
    > datagrid).

    Just wanted to note that the plural of criterion is criteria, not
    criterias. Please do not be offended by this correction, as I am not a
    native English speaker either. *I* would not want the public interface of
    my module to have a spelling error, and thought you might want to fix it.

    Sinan.
    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Aug 21, 2005

  3. eddieia

    eddieia Guest

    thanks for your response,
    I will fix that asap !

    eddieia, Aug 21, 2005
  4. A. Sinan Unur <> wrote:

    > Just wanted to note that the plural of criterion is criteria, not
    > criterias. Please do not be offended by this correction, as I am not a
    > native English speaker either.

    That is irrelevant.

    Not being a native _Latin_ speaker would be the criterion for being
    expected to know how to pluralize to criteria. :)

    (ie. it is Latin rules, not English rules)

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Aug 22, 2005
  5. Tad McClellan <> wrote in

    > Not being a native _Latin_ speaker would be the criterion for being
    > expected to know how to pluralize to criteria. :)

    :)))

    Sinan

    A. Sinan Unur, Aug 22, 2005
  6. eddieia

    eddieia Guest

    A. Sinan Unur a écrit :

    > Tad McClellan <> wrote in
    >
    > > Not being a native _Latin_ speaker would be the criterion for being
    > > expected to know how to pluralize to criteria. :)

    > :)))
    >
    > Sinan

    I finally fix my code (thanks Sinan) and wrote a tutorial (for a good
    project quality criterion no ? ;)

    eddieia, Aug 22, 2005
  7. >>>>> "TMcC" == Tad McClellan <> writes:

    TMcC> A. Sinan Unur <> wrote:

    >> Just wanted to note that the plural of criterion is criteria,
    >> not criterias. Please do not be offended by this correction, as
    >> I am not a native English speaker either.

    TMcC> Not being a native _Latin_ speaker would be the criterion
    TMcC> for being expected to know how to pluralize to criteria.

    As we're being pedantic.... Greek.

    g, d, & r,

    Charlton

    --
    cwilbur at chromatico dot net
    cwilbur at mac dot com

    Charlton Wilbur, Aug 22, 2005
  8. On 2005-08-22, Charlton Wilbur <> wrote:

    > TMcC> A. Sinan Unur <> wrote:
    >
    > >> Just wanted to note that the plural of criterion is criteria,
    > >> not criterias. Please do not be offended by this correction, as
    > >> I am not a native English speaker either.

    > TMcC> Not being a native _Latin_ speaker would be the criterion
    > TMcC> for being expected to know how to pluralize to criteria.
    >
    > As we're being pedantic.... Greek.

    Speaking of pedantry, just because it's so in Latin or Greek doesn't
    change the fact that it is actually a correct english plural as well.

    :)

    "A Marine that says 'gee whiz'? What's he gonna do, storm the
    Cunningham house?" - mst3k

    David H. Adler, Aug 23, 2005
  9. Also sprach Charlton Wilbur:

    > TMcC> A. Sinan Unur <> wrote:
    >
    > >> Just wanted to note that the plural of criterion is criteria,
    > >> not criterias. Please do not be offended by this correction, as
    > >> I am not a native English speaker either.

    > TMcC> Not being a native _Latin_ speaker would be the criterion
    > TMcC> for being expected to know how to pluralize to criteria.
    >
    > As we're being pedantic.... Greek.

    To be even more pedantic, it is an artificial word consisting of Greek
    and Latin elements. Note that in English ('criterion') the Greek roots
    are emphasized, whereas in German ('Kriterium') the Latin ones are
    stressed.

    Tassilo
    --
    use bigint;

    Tassilo v. Parseval, Aug 23, 2005
  10. >>>>> "TvP" == Tassilo v Parseval <> writes:

    TvP> To be even more pedantic, it is an artificial word consisting
    TvP> of Greek and Latin elements. Note that in English
    TvP> ('criterion') the Greek roots are emphasized, whereas in
    TvP> German ('Kriterium') the Latin ones are stressed.

    The New Oxford American Dictionary, as available on my Mac, indicates
    that the etymology is from Greek krit{\=e}rion, 'means of judging,'
    related to krit{\=e}s, 'critic,' and that the -on/-a form 'follows the
    original Greek.' (I don't know how the OAD handles Greek
    transliteration, so I've reproduced it here as it appears there.) It
    would seem that the English word comes directly from Greek, with no
    Latin influence. The -on/-ia suggests a third declension neuter noun
    in Latin, but the same paradigm exists in Greek as well.

    It may be that the German word Kriterium made a stop in Latin before
    getting there; I don't have a German etymological resource easily
    available to me to check that. (I might have to go to the university
    library, which would certainly involve getting off the couch, and that
    is too much energy to invest in pedantry right now.)

    Charlton

    Charlton Wilbur, Aug 23, 2005
  11. Also sprach Charlton Wilbur:

    > TvP> To be even more pedantic, it is an artificial word consisting
    > TvP> of Greek and Latin elements. Note that in English
    > TvP> ('criterion') the Greek roots are emphasized, whereas in
    > TvP> German ('Kriterium') the Latin ones are stressed.
    >
    > The New Oxford American Dictionary, as available on my Mac, indicates
    > that the etymology is from Greek krit{\=e}rion, 'means of judging,'
    > related to krit{\=e}s, 'critic,' and that the -on/-a form 'follows the
    > original Greek.' (I don't know how the OAD handles Greek
    > transliteration, so I've reproduced it here as it appears there.) It
    > would seem that the English word comes directly from Greek, with no
    > Latin influence. The -on/-ia suggests a third declension neuter noun
    > in Latin, but the same paradigm exists in Greek as well.

    Indeed, the word itself is originally Greek but it also existed in a
    latinized version ('ars critica') [1]. But neither English nor German
    use either the Latin or Greek pure form: English replaced the Greek 'k'
    with 'c', whereas in German the 'K' remained but a Latin ending is
    used. So it's a bit in the Greek-Latin twilight.

    [1]:
    <http://germazope.uni-trier.de/Projects/WBB/woerterbuecher/dwb/wbgui?lemid=GK14446>

    Tassilo
    --
    use bigint;

    Tassilo v. Parseval, Aug 23, 2005
  12. eddieia

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Charlton Wilbur <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:

    > It may be that the German word Kriterium made a stop in Latin before
    > getting there; I don't have a German etymological resource easily
    > available to me to check that.

    German has a tendency, frowned upon by language purists, to Latinize
    the Greek "...ion" ending to "..ium" in foreign words, even if the
    word was taken directly from Greek. It happens in English too, see
    "plectrum".

    Anno

    Anno Siegel, Aug 23, 2005
  13. -berlin.de (Anno Siegel) wrote in news:def2ke$c4n$2
    @mamenchi.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE:

    > Charlton Wilbur <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    >
    >> It may be that the German word Kriterium made a stop in Latin before
    >> getting there; I don't have a German etymological resource easily
    >> available to me to check that.

    > German has a tendency, frowned upon by language purists, to Latinize
    > the Greek "...ion" ending to "..ium" in foreign words, even if the
    > word was taken directly from Greek. It happens in English too, see
    > "plectrum".

    Thanks everyone. This has been very educational.

    Sinan
    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Aug 23, 2005
  14. eddieia

    Guest

    Tad McClellan <> wrote:
    > A. Sinan Unur <> wrote:

    >> Just wanted to note that the plural of criterion is criteria, not
    >> criterias. Please do not be offended by this correction, as I am not a
    >> native English speaker either.

    > That is irrelevant.

    > Not being a native _Latin_ speaker would be the criterion for being
    > expected to know how to pluralize to criteria. :)

    > (ie. it is Latin rules, not English rules)

    _Greek_ rules, not Latin ;-)

    Axel

    , Aug 24, 2005