    PS. I hope it is ok to be all friendly like now and then.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 26, 2007

  2. On 25 Jul 2007 dorayme wrote in alt.html

    > regards
    >
    > dorayme
    >
    > PS. I hope it is ok to be all friendly like now and then.

    Only if I can top post. :)

    --
    D?
    Yorkshire Pete

    Yorkshire Pete, Jul 26, 2007

  3. dorayme

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > Dear rf,

    G'day.

    > I just like you to know that I made a special note just now of my
    > upload speed on my ADSL2 Optus connection and it hovered on 85KB
    > per sec for the few mins it took to upload a 36MB zip file to an
    > external server.

    That's not too bad. Actually, for upload that is very good.

    Oddly enough a mate of mine just upgraded to ADSL2 and got less than he had
    before. 20KB/s or something. Turns out they had put him on a throttled plan
    by mistake. Sorted now.

    I think I'll stay with my cable though. A recent download peaked at 473KB
    per second, although upload is limited to 128KB/s.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 26, 2007
  4. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <wmUpi.12171$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > Dear rf,

    > G'day.
    >
    > > I just like you to know that I made a special note just now of my
    > > upload speed on my ADSL2 Optus connection and it hovered on 85KB
    > > per sec for the few mins it took to upload a 36MB zip file to an
    > > external server.

    > That's not too bad. Actually, for upload that is very good.
    >
    > Oddly enough a mate of mine just upgraded to ADSL2 and got less than he had
    > before. 20KB/s or something. Turns out they had put him on a throttled plan
    > by mistake. Sorted now.
    >
    > I think I'll stay with my cable though. A recent download peaked at 473KB
    > per second, although upload is limited to 128KB/s.

    128KB/sec is respectable indeed.

    While OT, it would be silly not to add something:

    I made a bit of an investigation of the way Optus throttle things
    at the end of last month, it is quite interesting. My plan calls
    for throttling back to modem speed when you go over the download
    limit on the broadband. I am not a big downloader (I am a fair
    uploader though) so I often have spare at the end. It is 'use it
    or lose it' so I rush to get all my favourite podcasts from the
    ABC and software updates...

    Optus seem to decelerate the speed, it does not simply happen all
    of a sudden! And I can understand why, if this is right: it would
    cause too much of a shock and they could be sued for health
    effects. It is incredibly slow at the very end, in fact, I get
    the feeling that the engineers were so taken by the technical
    problem of easing us poor schmucks into dialup-land that they
    simply forgot to put the limit of 28 on. Or, diabolically,
    deliberately so to encourage a higher take up of a more expensive
    plan.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 26, 2007
  5. dorayme

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <wmUpi.12171$>,
    > "rf" <> wrote:

    > While OT, it would be silly not to add something:

    > I made a bit of an investigation of the way Optus throttle things
    > at the end of last month, it is quite interesting. My plan calls
    > for throttling back to modem speed when you go over the download
    > limit on the broadband.

    Bigpond take the monetory approach. Go over the limit and megabytes suddenly
    cost $0.15 per each. That zip file you mentioned would cost $5.40 to
    upload.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 26, 2007
  6. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <J_Upi.12178$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <wmUpi.12171$>,
    > > "rf" <> wrote:

    > > While OT, it would be silly not to add something:

    > > I made a bit of an investigation of the way Optus throttle things
    > > at the end of last month, it is quite interesting. My plan calls
    > > for throttling back to modem speed when you go over the download
    > > limit on the broadband.

    > Bigpond take the monetory approach. Go over the limit and megabytes suddenly
    > cost $0.15 per each. That zip file you mentioned would cost $5.40 to
    > upload.

    The interesting thing about my Optus plan is they don't count
    uploads at all, that suits me fine. Yes, I know about Bigpond.
    Tell you what though, Optus is not easy to deal with on the admin
    side, it is simply too big (like Telstra). These dinosaurs can
    get about for a while but they are not a pretty sight.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 26, 2007
  7. rf wrote:

    > Bigpond take the monetory approach. Go over the limit and megabytes suddenly
    > cost $0.15 per each.

    $150 per gig? Ouch!

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    [OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 36 days, 15:46.]

    Cryptography Challenge
    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/07/24/crypto-challenge/

    Toby A Inkster, Jul 27, 2007
  8. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <5n.co.uk>,
    Toby A Inkster <> wrote:

    > rf wrote:
    >
    > > Bigpond take the monetory approach. Go over the limit and megabytes
    > > suddenly
    > > cost $0.15 per each.

    > $150 per gig? Ouch!

    Indeed.

    Which reminds me. Because of the rival Optus policy of throttling
    speed back with absurd gusto when you have reached your limit, I
    find it quicker to keep a dial up account and use this old
    chestnut for minor end of month work... That may be a better
    policy for Telstra customers too. With Optus at least, keeping a
    dial up account is quite cheap as an extra. And handy for when
    travelling.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 28, 2007