    in debug mode to show

    localhost:7859/filename_that_should_be_in_the_root.aspx

    Regards, Chris.
    Chris, Aug 2, 2007

  2. Hello Chris,

    > When I go into debug mode and the web page I am working on opens in
    > the browser via the local Cassini Web Server I get a path appended
    > onto the full path e.g.
    >
    > localhost:7859/FolderName/filename_that_should_be_in_the_root.aspx
    >
    > this is a pain as I do my links from the root e.g. /css/site.css and
    > the additional folder in the path stops that. Is there any way to get
    > the site in debug mode to show
    >
    > localhost:7859/filename_that_should_be_in_the_root.aspx
    >
    > Regards, Chris.

    Because you'll never know the deployment url might change you need to write
    your code agnostig of the deployment location.

    If you have urls in controls (NavigateToUrl, PostBackUrl, ImageUrl etc) you
    can use the ~/ notation to specify the application root.

    The same goes for certain urls in the head section of a website (stylesheet
    links are among those I believe).

    You can also put your css files in a theme (put them in a folder called App_Themes\ThemeName)
    and set the theme in the Pages tag of the web.config. All pages will automatically
    load all css files in the specified themes directory. Should you ever need
    to change the look & feel of the pages you can just change teh contents of
    the theme directory and all pages will automatically load then new stylesheets.

    Jess
    Jesse Houwing, Aug 2, 2007

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    This is what I am doing. Say my website project sits in a folder called
    MyProject and I have a css file in a folder css/mystyles.css

    I would put the link as href="/css/mystyles.css"

    However when I press F5 and go into debug mode the root from the localhost
    becomes

    localhost:7859/MyProject/css/mystyles.css

    which makes my link stop work when in debug mode. It's fine on the live
    server. Is there some setting somewhere as it seems so easy to break any
    pathing from the root.

    Regards, Chris.

    Chris, Aug 3, 2007
  4. Hello Chris,

    > This is what I am doing. Say my website project sits in a folder
    > called MyProject and I have a css file in a folder css/mystyles.css
    >
    > I would put the link as href="/css/mystyles.css"
    >
    > However when I press F5 and go into debug mode the root from the
    > localhost becomes
    >
    > localhost:7859/MyProject/css/mystyles.css
    >
    > which makes my link stop work when in debug mode. It's fine on the
    > live server. Is there some setting somewhere as it seems so easy to
    > break any pathing from the root.

    Did you have a look at the project properties sheet called "Debug" it allows
    you to set such details. But appart from that. Have you tried settign teh
    path to your CSS file to

    ~/css/mystyles.css

    This should expand the path to the correct oen each and every time, regardless
    of where you're going to deploy it. (You might need to add runat="server"
    to the <head> tag to make this work.

    You could also try the Themes feature I pointed you to earlier.

    It's better to cure the desease than to treat it's symptom in my opinion.

    Jesse

    Jesse Houwing, Aug 3, 2007