debugger for javascript

Angus

Hi

I am inexperienced in terms of javascript but have been programming
for years. I have been using text editors for html/javascript and
wondered about a proper developers environment, eg a debugger, etc. I
see Chrome has some developer tools and I use Chrome. Is that avenue
recommended? What do others use to debug javascript?

Angus

joe

Angus said:
Hi

I am inexperienced in terms of javascript but have been programming
for years. I have been using text editors for html/javascript and
wondered about a proper developers environment, eg a debugger, etc. I
see Chrome has some developer tools and I use Chrome. Is that avenue
recommended? What do others use to debug javascript?

Angus

I use Firebug with Firefox.

P E Schoen

"Angus" wrote in message
I am inexperienced in terms of javascript but have been programming
for years. I have been using text editors for html/javascript and
wondered about a proper developers environment, eg a debugger,
etc. I see Chrome has some developer tools and I use Chrome. Is
that avenue recommended? What do others use to debug javascript?

This may be helpful:
http://www.jslint.com/

Paul

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

P said:

JSLint surely is _not_ a debugger, though. Its helpfulness (and usefulnes)
is debatable, too, as it imposes Crockford's often misguided beliefs of how
scripts should be written.

The FAQ contains plenty of helpful links on this subject, of course.

PointedEars

Evertjan.

Angus wrote on 02 jul 2011 in comp.lang.javascript:
I am inexperienced in terms of javascript but have been programming
for years. I have been using text editors for html/javascript and
wondered about a proper developers environment, eg a debugger, etc. I
see Chrome has some developer tools and I use Chrome. Is that avenue
recommended? What do others use to debug javascript?

A scripting language does not need a debugger as much as a compiler
language does.

[Yes, I know Javascript is compiled at runtime, but that is different,
as it is compiled every time, and there is no additional and timeconsuming
step.]

Debugging Javascript script can be done by inserting temporary breakpoints
and taking parts of the script temporarily out by /*...*/ or //.

As Javascript is easily written modularily, testing such modules is also a
good debugging tool.

This way, the script can be tested on different platforms [like different
browsers, serverside Javascript or wscript/cscript] while a debugger can
never cope with those differences of to Dom or not to DOM, etc.