Debugging ASP.NET Web Pages That Require SSL

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?RWFnbGVSZWRASGlnaEZseWluZ0JpcmRzLmNvbQ==, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. have an ASP.NET web application on a virtual directory that is set to require SSL. After making the settings in IIS I try to debug from VS.NET and I get a message that the project is not configured to debug. However, the project has all the settings and I can debug it if I remove the SSL requirement. How can I debug a project that where the virtual directory is set to require SSL

    =?Utf-8?B?RWFnbGVSZWRASGlnaEZseWluZ0JpcmRzLmNvbQ==, Apr 30, 2004

  2. Production environment use SSL and do not debug.
    Development environment, no SSL usage and debug in this environment.

    The answer to your question is to create a development environment.

    --
    Peter O'Reilly

    Peter O'Reilly, Apr 30, 2004

  3. You need to change the URLs that VS.NET uses to reach the project files and
    web application. While neither your solution or project are loaded in
    VS.NET, make the following edits in notepad:

    1. In the solution (.sln) file, edit the URL to the .csproj file for the
    web application. The original line might look something like this:

    Project("{<GUID>}") = "projectname",
    "http://someserver/projectname/projectname.csproj", "{<another GUID>}"

    You need to change it to something like the following (i.e.: use https
    instead of http):

    Project("{<GUID>}") = "projectname",
    "https://someserver/projectname/projectname.csproj", "{<another GUID>}"

    2. In the webinfo file (.webinfo) for the web application, edit the URLPath
    attribute of the Web element to use https. e.g.:

    <Web URLPath = "http://server/projectname/projectname.csproj" />

    would become

    <Web URLPath = "https://server/projectname/projectname.csproj" />

    HTH,
    Nicole

    "" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    Nicole Calinoiu, Apr 30, 2004
  4. The change in the .sln file worked until I specified client cert. required or accepted. Is it possible to debug a secure page in VS.NET with a client certificate?

    =?Utf-8?B?RWFnbGVSZWRASGlnaEZseWluZ0JpcmRzLmNvbQ==, Apr 30, 2004
  5. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like VS.NET is set up to use client
    certificates with web projects. However, it is still possible to debug with
    client certificates--it's just a wee bit of a PITA:

    1. In the IIS admin console, set your application to _not_ require client
    certificates.
    2. Load your solution/project in VS.NET.
    3. Start debugging the project by running it from VS.NET.
    4. While it's already debugging (started in step 3), use the the IIS admin
    console to set your application to require client certificates.
    5. Continue your debugging run. You should be able to see the client
    certificate in the requests for the remainder of the debugging session.

    HTH,
    Nicole

    "" <> wrote
    in message news:...