    I am starting to look for alternatives.

    >From what I can gather, it appears the only *real* option I have is to

    debug under Eclipse/Pydev. I did a google search of this newsgroup
    and didn't turn up too many hits. Before I invest the time to learn
    Eclipse/Pydev, I like to hear from somebody that have gone this path.
    Have you been successful in using Eclipse/Pydev to debug multi-
    threaded Python applications? Is so, what was the learning curve like
    to you?

    Thanks,
    John Henry, Apr 6, 2007

  2. On Apr 6, 2007, at 2:32 PM, John Henry wrote:

    > I am back against the wall trying to migrate my multithreaded
    > application from Python 2.3 to 2.5. The part of the code that's
    > failing has to do with queues (2.3 queues and 2.5 queues are not the
    > same). Since WingIDE doesn't support multithread debugging (they've
    > been saying that one day they might support that - and that was 2003),
    > I am starting to look for alternatives.

    The alpha release of Wing IDE (3.0.0-a1) does in fact, support
    multithread debugging. It is an alpha release but so far, I'm quite
    satisfied with it.

    hth,
    Michael
    Michael Bentley, Apr 6, 2007

  3. John Henry

    John Henry Guest

    On Apr 6, 1:33 pm, Michael Bentley <> wrote:
    > On Apr 6, 2007, at 2:32 PM, John Henry wrote:
    >
    > > I am back against the wall trying to migrate my multithreaded
    > > application from Python 2.3 to 2.5. The part of the code that's
    > > failing has to do with queues (2.3 queues and 2.5 queues are not the
    > > same). Since WingIDE doesn't support multithread debugging (they've
    > > been saying that one day they might support that - and that was 2003),
    > > I am starting to look for alternatives.

    > The alpha release of Wing IDE (3.0.0-a1) does in fact, support
    > multithread debugging. It is an alpha release but so far, I'm quite
    > satisfied with it.
    >
    > hth,
    > Michael

    That's nice to know. May be I can get on their alpha list.

    Thanks,
    John Henry, Apr 6, 2007
  4. John Henry wrote:

    >>From what I can gather, it appears the only real option I have is to

    > debug under Eclipse/Pydev.  I did a google search of this newsgroup
    > and didn't turn up too many hits.  Before I invest the time to learn
    > Eclipse/Pydev, I like to hear from somebody that have gone this path.
    > Have you been successful in using Eclipse/Pydev to debug multi-
    > threaded Python applications?  Is so, what was the learning curve like
    > to you?

    I use pydev extensively for all my Python related work. And I really love
    it.

    The good part about Eclipse/PyDev is that (if you are an Eclipse user)
    you'll have to learn only a single IDE for all your programming works in
    most of the languages. The interface, the shortcut keys to step, all are
    the same across all languages that you use in Eclipse.

    As for PyDev, it works very good with Eclipse.
    Be it code-completion or thread debugging, all is supported. For
    multithreaded applications, in PyDev, you'll see all the threads listed.
    Then you can use each thread and proceed with debugging the code.

    Learning Eclipse might take some time but that's worth it.

    HTH,
    Ritesh
    --
    Ritesh Raj Sarraf
    RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com
    Ritesh Raj Sarraf, Apr 7, 2007
  5. John Henry wrote:
    >>From what I can gather, it appears the only *real* option I have is to

    > debug under Eclipse/Pydev. I did a google search of this newsgroup
    > and didn't turn up too many hits. Before I invest the time to learn
    > Eclipse/Pydev, I like to hear from somebody that have gone this path.
    > Have you been successful in using Eclipse/Pydev to debug multi-
    > threaded Python applications? Is so, what was the learning curve like
    > to you?

    ActiveState Komodo can also do multithreaded debugging.

    And if all else fails, you can insert:

    import pdb
    pdb.set_trace()

    in your code and that way you will break on any thread.

    Currently I am using pydev myself, having gone through WingIDE and Komodo.

    --
    Heikki Toivonen
    Heikki Toivonen, Apr 7, 2007
  6. John Henry

    John Henry Guest

    On Apr 7, 3:23 pm, Heikki Toivonen <> wrote:
    > John Henry wrote:
    > >>From what I can gather, it appears the only *real* option I have is to

    > > debug under Eclipse/Pydev. I did a google search of this newsgroup
    > > and didn't turn up too many hits. Before I invest the time to learn
    > > Eclipse/Pydev, I like to hear from somebody that have gone this path.
    > > Have you been successful in using Eclipse/Pydev to debug multi-
    > > threaded Python applications? Is so, what was the learning curve like
    > > to you?

    > ActiveState Komodo can also do multithreaded debugging.
    >
    > And if all else fails, you can insert:
    >
    > import pdb
    > pdb.set_trace()
    >
    > in your code and that way you will break on any thread.
    >
    > Currently I am using pydev myself, having gone through WingIDE and Komodo.
    >
    > --
    > Heikki Toivonen

    I ran the alpha version of Wing. So far, it appears to do a fine job
    in debugging multi-threaded applications.

    And yes, I fixed my bug within 5 minutes.
    John Henry, Apr 10, 2007