Decimal to binary for comparison

Klaus Thiele

Hi

I have a simple question. I have a 16-bit register that stores me the
information about the usage of 16 registers. If a bit is set the
register is locked else its free to use. Next, I read then in a value
that wants to use one of the registers. The value is a decimal number
between 0 and 15, so I wonder if VHDL offers an easy way to convert from
decimal to binary so that I can compare then values with an AND mask.
This the thing should also be sythesizable on an XIlinx FPGA ;)

Thanks,
Klaus

Mike Treseler

Klaus said:
The value is a decimal number
between 0 and 15, so I wonder if VHDL offers an easy way to convert from
decimal to binary so that I can compare then values with an AND mask.
This the thing should also be sythesizable on an XIlinx FPGA ;)

I would declare that natural range as a subtype
and use a constant or variable of that subtype
for the comparison. Synthesis will work out
the details.

-- Mike Treseler

KJ

Hi

I have a simple question. I have a 16-bit register that stores me the
information about the usage of 16 registers. If a bit is set the
register is locked else its free to use. Next, I read then in a value
that wants to use one of the registers. The value is a decimal number
between 0 and 15, so I wonder if VHDL offers an easy way to convert from
decimal to binary so that I can compare then values with an AND mask.
This the thing should also be sythesizable on an XIlinx FPGA ;)

Perhaps you should go back and rethink your question. Inside an FPGA
you only have binary logic, there is no decimal so the number you
'read in' will not be decimal.

Probably what you're trying to say is that you've got a number in the
range 0 to 15 (most likely represented inside the FPGA as a 4 bit
binary number) and you want to decode to select one of 16 different
things. In that case, Google for 4->16 decoders, de-multiplexers,
etc. You'll likely implement something like this...

process
begin
Select_This <= (others => '0');
Select_This(Index) <= '1'
end process;

Klaus Thiele

Probably what you're trying to say is that you've got a number in the
range 0 to 15 (most likely represented inside the FPGA as a 4 bit
binary number) and you want to decode to select one of 16 different
things. In that case, Google for 4->16 decoders, de-multiplexers,
etc. You'll likely implement something like this...

process
begin
Select_This <= (others => '0');
Select_This(Index) <= '1'
end process;

Yes, that it is what I am looking for! A 4->16 decoder

Klaus Thiele

process
begin
Select_This <= (others => '0');