Subject: Re: Decoding MIME email.
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 01:40:07 +0200
From: Gerhard Häring <[email protected]>
To: (e-mail address removed)

Thomas Williams wrote:
Hello everyone, my name is Tom W. And, I am new to
the
list, and have been using Python for about a year now.
Anyway, I got a question! I am trying to decode MIME
(base64) email from a POP3 server, but all I get is a
corrupt file. [...]

You should be using the email module for this. Here
are a few interactive commands that could get you
started:

from email.Parser import Parser
f = file("/tmp/mail.txt")
parser = Parser()
msg = parser.parse(f)
f.close()
msg
<email.Message.Message instance at 0x8195e34>

You probably can figure out the rest with the
documentation for the email module, otherwise just ask
here.

Oh, and if your Python doesn't have an email module,
it's really time to upgrade :)

-- Gerhard

Tim Roberts

Thomas Williams said:
Thanks, I tried it and it stop at:
f = file("mail.txt")
with the error message.

TypeError: 'str' object is not callable

I'll wager you have a line something like this before that:

file = sys.argv[0]
f = file("mail.txt")

Either do not use variables called "file", or replace the "file" with
"open" in your function call.