del not working for (exhausted) dict iterable value (Python 3.3)

Nick Mellor

Hi all,

event['Items'] is an exhausted (all used up) iterable.

Now I do the following (lines 142-4):

event.update({'Attributes': filtered_attributes})
del event['Items']
yield event

and get a KeyError on the del statement. 'Items' is a key in the event dictionary at this point.

The full file is here:

https://gist.github.com/nickmellor/5140516

I can get round it by copying all but the 'Items' member to a new dictionary, but obviously I don't want to.

Is there some deep design in Python here, that it won't delete a dict value that's an (exhausted) iterator, or have I found a bug?

Thanks for any help,

Nick

alex23

event['Items'] is an exhausted (all used up) iterable.

Now I do the following (lines 142-4):

            event.update({'Attributes': filtered_attributes})
            del event['Items']
            yield event

and get a KeyError on the del statement.

Is there some deep design in Python here, that it won't delete a
dict value that's an (exhausted) iterator, or have I found a bug?

You're effectively doing this:
event = dict(Items=[1,2,3])
for e in event['Items']:
.... del event['Items']
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 2, in <module>
KeyError: 'Items'

You want to move your del statement up an indentation level so it
happens after the iterator is actually exhausted, and not after the
first iteration.

Thomas Rachel

Am 12.03.2013 06:52 schrieb alex23:
You're effectively doing this:
event = dict(Items=[1,2,3])
for e in event['Items']:
... del event['Items']
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 2, in <module>
KeyError: 'Items'

You want to move your del statement up an indentation level so it
happens after the iterator is actually exhausted, and not after the
first iteration.

Just to be clear: Exhausting the iterator is not the problem, as I
thought as well at the first glance.

The problem is the fact that the loop body tuns multiple times - and so
does the del statement. A

event = dict(Items=[1,2,3])
for e in event['Items']:
if 'Items' in event: del event['Items']

runs perfectly, as the iterable is transformed to an iterator at the
very start of the loop.

Thomas