Deleting a preloaded image from memory

Matt Kruse

Randy said:
I have been plonked and un-plonked by him so many times I call myself
the President of the "Thomas called me a Troll" club.

If you would just read ECMA Specification version 15.43.24.5 section 5,
paragraph 4, you would know why.

Score adjusted

John W. Kennedy

Lasse said:
It's possible, and there were attempts in the early days of computers
to build decimal based computers. It just turned out to be too fragile.
Distinguishing between ten levels of voltage was more errorprone than
just between "on" and "off".

I believe both the Eniac and the Mark I were decimal.

The ASSC ("Mark I") was electromechanical, and used odometer-like wheels.

IBM, at least, never made a decimal computer based on voltage
differences. All IBM decimal computers used binary encodings, including:

BCD: 0000 through 1001.
Excess-3: 0011 through 1100
Biquinary: five bits, only one 1, plus two bits, only one 1
Three-of-five: five bits, three 1, and two 0

IBM mainframes still normally use decimal arithmetic for financial
calculations, although binary is used for addressing and scientific
number crunching.

One Russian computer of the 50's used ternary (base-3).

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Bart said:
Thomas said:
[...]
You do not look very smart ignoring this very simple fact repeatedly,
while rambling and patronizing knowledgeable people about quite
irrelevant possible implementations of data storage in hardware.
Nuff said.

Play the ball, not the person, Thomas.

I am playing the ball. I am criticizing (your) evading behavior in
discussions that can be perceived as trolling, as it tries to keep
off-topic discussions alive by posting irrelevant facts and later
stating them as irrelevant repeatedly, while ignoring the real facts
presented, and not having the potential to provide a noticeable gain
to anyone (learning about what is troll behavior aside).

PointedEars