Deploying 2.0 app on a Service Provider .. Membership Provider

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by sloan, Jun 2, 2006.

  1. sloan

    sloan Guest

    Are there any "gotchas" on deploying the default Membership Provider
    (aspnetdb) to a hosting provider?

    I'm about to do it.

    And how does one get to the "auto configurer" .. that allows you to setup
    roles/users .....?

    Can I do these steps:

    To create a membership user
    1.. On the Website menu, click ASP.NET Configuration.

    2.. Select the Security tab, click the link to Use the security Setup
    Wizard to configure security step by step, and then click Next.

    3.. Proceed to Step 2 of the wizard and select the From the Internet
    option.

    The wizard displays a page where you can select the authentication method
    that your Web site will use. This option specifies that your application
    will use Forms authentication, where users will log in to the application
    using a login page that you will create later in this walkthrough.

    4.. Click Next.

    The wizard displays a message stating that user information will be stored
    using Advanced provider settings. By default, membership information is
    stored in a Microsoft SQL Server Express database file in the App_Data
    folder of your Web site.

    Can this be done remotely .. and to a hosting company's site? (probably,
    but i'm asking anyways, thanks)

    sloan, Jun 2, 2006

  2. sloan,
    See this recent article for details on how to set up the providers, as well
    as how to configure the providers programmatically:

    Peter

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Jun 2, 2006

  3. sloan

    sloan Guest

    Sweet!

    Yeah, you're right...

    //quote
    3) Do it programmatically: Make a "Setup.aspx" page that uses the
    System.Web.Management utility method:

    Management.SqlServices.Install("server", "USERNAME", "PASSWORD",
    "databasename", SqlFeatures.All)

    This does everything that ASPNET_REGSQL does. You'd think they would make it
    more obvious that you can do this, given the large number of sites that are
    hosted by commercial shared hosting companies, but no, they decided to push
    ASPNET_REGSQL as if everybody everywhere automatically has access to it.

    That should be the more "advertised' method.

    Thanks Peter!

    sloan, Jun 2, 2006
  4. You're welcome!

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Jun 3, 2006
  5. sloan

    sloan Guest

    Peter,

    I ran your example .. .and got it up and running just fine.

    (one small issue was that the tables were Create Table [Articles] .. .
    instead of Create Table dbo.Articles ........ which causes a few issues
    until I addressed it)
    (I'm at the mercy of my hosting provider on that one)

    The setup screen you had worked perfectly, and I saw all the tables get
    created in the db.

    http://comps.reasolns.com/deploytest/images/webAdminTool.gif

    Take a look at that gif... That's where I'm still unclear on whether or not
    you can use that functionality somewhere besides the development
    environment.

    Thanks for any input.

    Sloan

    http://comps.reasolns.com/deploytest/ is where I got your demo site working.