    your Windows Forms apps too?

    John Powell

    , Dec 2, 2005

  2. Scott Allen Guest

    On 2 Dec 2005 07:02:37 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >I think some of the changes to Asp.net are rediculous. Take the
    >ability to deploy source code to production that is compiled on the
    >fly.

    The ability to deploy source code to production is there - it doesn't
    mean you have to deploy this way.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Dec 2, 2005

    Re: Deploying Source Code to Production Servers. Good or Bad?

    I agree with Scott and I wouldn't use that feature. The point I was
    trying to make is that asp.net is now inconsistent with other types of
    projects, and IMHO it shouldn't be.

    The ability to deploy source code shouldn't even be an option for
    security and intellectual property protection reasons.

    Could it be that the designer of this approach prefered the old asp
    days where everything was scripted and production websites could be
    updated on the fly?

    John Powell

    , Dec 2, 2005
  4. tdavisjr Guest

    Re: Deploying Source Code to Production Servers. Good or Bad?

    I think John hit the issue right on the head. It not acceptable to
    update production websites on the fly. We need to start treating our
    Web Applications like "real" software or real binary components, where
    after we make our change we have to compile and then Test.

    So, deploying source code may be convienent, but its not how software
    development work. However, you may be able to get away with this for
    small websites or sample code.

    E.g. From our standpoint, would it be good for microsoft to deploy
    their OS and their appliations with source code? Yes, that way we can
    tinker with it and maybe even customize it; but deploying source code
    would be a terrible thing for MS to do at it would open some doors that
    would be much harder to close.

    tdavisjr, Dec 2, 2005
  5. Scott Allen Guest

    Re: Deploying Source Code to Production Servers. Good or Bad?

    On 2 Dec 2005 09:42:39 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >I agree with Scott and I wouldn't use that feature. The point I was
    >trying to make is that asp.net is now inconsistent with other types of
    >projects, and IMHO it shouldn't be.

    Good point.

    The web has long been host to a variety of interpreted, scripted
    solutions. Some environments still demand this dynamic flexibility,
    and it's hard for Microsoft not to offer this segment of the market a
    tool. We get the best of both worlds, really, and it doesn't mean we
    have to throw configuration management out the window, either.

    On a related note, when Vista and WPF hit desktops, then Windows forms
    and web forms will be scarily consistent from a 1,000 foot view...

    Scott Allen, Dec 2, 2005