Deployment Question

Wayne Wengert

I have an account from a commercial ISP and he set the sub directory "net"
as a virtual directory to allow me to run ASP.NET pages (I use VSNET 2003
for development). I created one solution with a couple of aspx pages and
used the project/copy project option to create a copy of my solution which I
then uploaded to my "net" directory. Everything seems to run fine.

Now, I created another project with several additional web pages. I want to
add those pages to my web site but I cannot get them to work. I tried
creating a subdirectory "net/reg" for my virtual directory and uploading a
copy of the new project (I did not upload the new global.aspx or web.config
as I read somewhere that it would default to the application root). When I
attempt to open an aspx file in that new directory I get the following
error:
Parser Error Message: Could not load type
'ShowRegistrations.ShowRegistrations'.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false"
Codebehind="ShowRegistrations.aspx.vb"
Inherits="ShowRegistrations.ShowRegistrations"%>
Line 2: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
Line 3: <HTML>

Source File:
C:\inetpub2\resadmin\wengert\wengert.org\www\net\reg\ShowRegistrations.aspx
Line: 1

What is the right way to handle uploading multiple projects when you don't
own the server and do not have admin access to various setting? Do I need to
move all my pages into a single project (clumsy if you have 75+ pages) or is
there anothe way?

Wayne

Paul Glavich [MVP - ASP.NET]

Make sure you put all your assemblies into the root /bin folder. (ie.
net/bin), not in net/reg/bin.

ASP.NEt cant find an assembly with the specified type in it, and it will
look in the base /bin directory.

Wayne Wengert

Paul;

Thank you so much - that was the trick I missed.

BTW, just to be safe I also copied the contents from the new bin/_vti_cnf to
the one at the root. What is in that folder? Files have the same name as
those in bin but they are much smaller?

Wayne