    Test text´
    ]]>
    </description>
    <pubDate>Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:30:00 EST</pubDate>
    </item>

    When I include :" ´ " the description text is not generated. Only when I
    remove ' ´ ' does it work. Are there any restrictions on characters used
    inside the description tag?
    bob, Apr 2, 2009

  2. bob wrote:
    > I have an xml fil containing:
    >
    > <item>
    > <title><![CDATA[Title C]]></title>
    > <link><![CDATA[http://www.eclipse.org/org/press-release/20090401_WTPeducation.php]]></link>
    >
    > <description>
    > <![CDATA[
    > Test text´
    > ]]>
    > </description>
    > <pubDate>Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:30:00 EST</pubDate>
    > </item>
    >

    > When I include :" ´ " the description text is not generated. Only when
    > I remove ' ´ ' does it work. Are there any restrictions on characters
    > used inside the description tag?

    How do you "generate"? What exactly do you generate?

    In terms of XML there is nothing special about the "´" character.
    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Apr 2, 2009

  3. > Are there any restrictions on characters
    > used inside the description tag?

    If that's a Microsoftish back-quote rather than the ASCII ` character,
    it may be a problem. XML files normally default to being read as
    Unicode, either UTF8 or UTF16, and the Microsoft extended-ASCII
    characters don't play nicely with UTF8. (In UTF8, the high bit is
    reserved for multibyte characters.) You may need to specify the file's
    encoding (assuming it's an encoding your XML tools support), or use the
    Unicode version of the character rather than the MS version.
    Joe Kesselman, Apr 2, 2009