Design: ASP.NET X-Y graphics application vs C# standalone

Martin Raychev

Hi everyone,

I have to design an application which has to display some graphics of
maritime data. I am wondering whether it could be web application (ASP.NET)
or standalone C# application.

Basically I will have 3 listboxes:

1st - with 5 Locations (Buoys)

2nd - with 4 Parameters (Wave height, Period, Temperature, etc.)

3rd - with 5 type of graphics (1 Day, 1 Week, 1 Month, 3 Months, 1 Year)
Type of graphics.

The graphics are to be linear within a Cartesian coordinate system.

I was thinking of building this as an ASP.NET app with GDI+ graphics. I have
done a few reports like that before. This application will be much easier
because of the deployment and maintenance but will there be anything that I
will lack as functionality in comparison to a C# standalone application?

Any advice is appreciated!

Regards,

Martin Raychev.

Kristof Van Praet

Hello Martin,

in the .NET framework, the deployement issue may no longer be an argument to
choose for a web application.

I don't know if you are familiar with the concept of smart clients. This
allows you to deploy windows based application with IIS. It is very good and
combines easy deployment and easy maintenance with the capabilities of a
windows based application.

You can find more information here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/using/building/windows/analystreports/smartclient.aspx

Hope this helps,