Design consideration regarding dynamic controls

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Henke, May 7, 2004.

  1. Henke

    Henke Guest

    Hello,

    I have developed some ASP.Net web applications during the past weeks and
    have encountered the fact that dynamic controls needs to be recreated on
    each postback. What is the experience of the ASP.Net development community
    regarding this? Are there any good approach about managing the dynamic
    controls and the recreation.

    Let me give you an example:
    I create a list of items from a SQL query, for each item I create an
    ImageButton with a delete button. All items are
    added to a Table webcontrol. Each Delete button is connected to a common
    eventhandler which deletes the row and updates the database. To solve this I
    have added the table to a session variable which I then read back in the
    Page.Init event (on each postback) and I have to recreate all the Delete
    buttons which is a real pain because the number of delete buttons differs
    from case to case.

    What is your experience of this situation and are there any common
    guidelines from Microsoft on this?

    Have a nice weekend

    Regards,

    // Henke