Design for WS Client on a timer

Tina

I need to write a client program that wakes up every so often to check local
databases to see if there is anything to send to web services, check other
web services to see if there is anything to get, etc.

My first thought was that I would build this application as a system service
on server2003. But I was thinking that this functionality could also run in
our own existing web service hosted by IIS. I could instantiate a timer and
have methods fire off so often. So my web service would also be a client to
other web services.

Is there anything inherently wrong with this design?

Thanks,

John Saunders

Tina said:
I need to write a client program that wakes up every so often to check
local databases to see if there is anything to send to web services, check
other web services to see if there is anything to get, etc.

My first thought was that I would build this application as a system
service on server2003. But I was thinking that this functionality could
also run in our own existing web service hosted by IIS. I could
instantiate a timer and have methods fire off so often. So my web service
would also be a client to other web services.

Is there anything inherently wrong with this design?

An instance of a web service class only exists while there is a request in
progress. There won't be any instance which could own the timer.

Use a Windows Service instead.

John