Design Questions about static factory classes

Gunter Herrmann

Hi!
Sorry for the off-topic digression but I just can't help but admit to
some surprise that some eastern Europeans still know German. Stalin and
his eastern European brothers were pretty ruthless about exiling or
killing their German residents in the immediate aftermath of WW II. I had
thought the German language was pretty much non-existent in the former
Warsaw Pact area by this point.... Based on what you're saying, it
appears that I was premature in assuming an absence of German in those
countries.

The presence of native speakers of the German language in Europe has
changed a bit quite recently.
When I was in the Central Asian parts of the former Soviet Union in 1986
there was a significant German minority, there even were newspapers and
some hours of radio program in German.
Romania had a lot of cities and villages where German was the majority
language.

But since then a lot of these people left for Germany in hope of a
better living.

Another thing is science in smaller countries (e.g. Hungary). Not a lot
of for instance medical literature is published in Hungarian. They use
books in German and English.

Best regards

Gunter
(a German in the US of A)

Mike Schilling

Gunter said:
Best regards

Gunter
(a German in the US of A)

Even further OT: Is "Best regards" a translation of a common German
closing. The people I've seen use it in e-mail are all Germans.

Andreas Leitgeb

Mike Schilling said:
Even further OT: Is "Best regards" a translation of a common German
closing. The people I've seen use it in e-mail are all Germans.

There is no exact German pendant of the word "regards" for this context.
The nearest one would be "Grüße" (greetings), which in German may get
a "beste" (best) added (for extra emphasis). So, "best" also gets added
to regards...

Lew

It used to be quite a common English closing, but perhaps it's not so common
now. I never noticed in my random samples that those who used it were of one
or another ethnic background particularly.

Mike Schilling

Lew said:
It used to be quite a common English closing, but perhaps it's not so
common now. I never noticed in my random samples that those who used
it were of one or another ethnic background particularly.

I often see regards, warm regards, or kind regards. "Best" not so much.