Designing For Diffrent Screens TFTs and CRTs

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Hardeep Rakhra, Apr 6, 2004.

  1. Okay, before anyone gets upset, this is a altogether different issue
    that you probably had on here before.

    I knocked together a site last week using CSS etc, mostly just to try a
    few new things.

    The thing is I was using very subtle colours. Very very light grays,
    browns and yellows. The result looks quite nice..... Or so i thought.

    Renders nicely on most browsers, until i checked it out on a computer
    with a TFT screen..... The site was just pretty much all white..... The
    result when my friend checked it out on her HP laptop.

    Can people with TFTs check out :

    http://www.makeupheaven.co.uk/kustompcs/index.html

    And see gimme a idea of what they see? You should have a yellow bar with
    flowers in it, a gray nav bar, with more light brown navigation down the
    left. The logo should have a astrix in the background. and the page
    background should be yellow.

    Seems fine on CRT monitors, but check anyway.

    Any suggestions as to what range of colours are safe on TFT's?

    Thanks

    Hardeep.

    Hardeep Rakhra, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Hardeep Rakhra

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:c4u79m$2m4up0$-berlin.de>
    Hardeep Rakhra <> said:

    > Renders nicely on most browsers, until i checked it out on a computer
    > with a TFT screen..... The site was just pretty much all white..... The
    > result when my friend checked it out on her HP laptop.
    > Can people with TFTs check out :
    > http://www.makeupheaven.co.uk/kustompcs/index.html

    while not all white the colors are too subtle on all 4 of my CRTs. i
    only notice something is there because you've pointed them out otherwise
    i wouldn't.

    make your colors darker and also use a tool to check how people with
    color problems would see the site.

    your navigation is also broken (does nothing).

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Apr 6, 2004

  3. "Hardeep Rakhra" <> wrote in message

    > Okay, before anyone gets upset, this is a altogether different issue
    > that you probably had on here before.
    >
    > I knocked together a site last week using CSS etc, mostly just to try a
    > few new things.
    >
    > The thing is I was using very subtle colours. Very very light grays,
    > browns and yellows. The result looks quite nice..... Or so i thought.

    Even on a regular monitor these are perhaps too subtle - try this to
    uniformly turn down the brightness on all your colors... After loading your
    browser with the page-in-question loaded hit the PrintScreen key and then go
    into your graphics editor - or a viewer, either way something that can
    adjust brightness - and paste to a new image. You'll paste of course the
    captured desktop at the time you hit PrintScreen. Alter the colors by
    turning down the brightness and take note of the percentage you turned it
    down.

    When you go to your html/web editor and open the page-in-question - I use
    FrontPage 2000 - you should be able to select the page's background color
    from another source. If you have the windows with your editor and the
    graphic of your darkened colors side-by-side, you will be able to use a
    pen-select tool to select the color from the graphic as shown.

    HTH.

    --
    Steve Goodman
    * EarthLight Productions

    Revd. Norle Enturbulata, Apr 6, 2004
  4. Hardeep Rakhra

    Grahammer Guest

    Looks fine here... 21" Trinitron CRT

    Monitor is calbrated using this site.

    http://www.ltlimagery.com/monitor_calibration.html

    I like the colours but they might just be too subtle on some monitors if
    they are low end or poorly adjusted.

    One thing I did notice... Your navbar scales with my font size in IE and
    Firefox, but the actual nav buttons do not.

    Grahammer, Apr 6, 2004
  5. Grahammer wrote:
    > Looks fine here... 21" Trinitron CRT
    >
    > Monitor is calbrated using this site.
    >
    > http://www.ltlimagery.com/monitor_calibration.html
    >
    > I like the colours but they might just be too subtle on some monitors if
    > they are low end or poorly adjusted.
    >
    > One thing I did notice... Your navbar scales with my font size in IE and
    > Firefox, but the actual nav buttons do not.

    Yeah those nav buttons down the side are on the way out, being replaced
    with somthing one of the lads in here suggested :O)

    I'm using a 19" Philips monitor, probably of a higher caliber than most
    too, guess i'll have to use colours that are spaced further apart. But
    then again site looks identicle on my sisters much older Nokia screen.

    First time i've ever come aross this. I was windering why the site just
    seemed white, wasn;t till i did a scren capture and ran the colour tool
    over the affect areas did i realise what it was.

    I really quite liked the pale and sudued look that i created.

    As for the links not working, its just the single template page at the
    moment.

    Hardeep.

    Hardeep Rakhra, Apr 6, 2004
  6. Hardeep Rakhra

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Nik Coughin, Apr 6, 2004
  7. Hardeep Rakhra

    Bob Long Guest

    In news:c4u79m$2m4up0$-berlin.de,
    Hardeep Rakhra <> typed:

    > Can people with TFTs check out :
    >
    > http://www.makeupheaven.co.uk/kustompcs/index.html
    >
    > And see gimme a idea of what they see? You should have a yellow bar
    > with flowers in it,

    I can see something horizontal an light yellow; would not have recognised
    them as flowers.

    > a gray nav bar,

    Yep.
    > with more light brown navigation
    > down the left.

    Can't see that.

    > The logo should have a astrix in the background.

    Yep.

    >and
    > the page background should be yellow.

    Looks white to me.

    > Seems fine on CRT monitors, but check anyway.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to what range of colours are safe on TFT's?

    Nope. But I'd like to know if the issue is one that affects LCDs in general,
    or if it is an indication of LCD quality.

    Bob Long

    Bob Long, Apr 7, 2004
  8. Hardeep Rakhra

    KirstyH Guest

    Hardeep Rakhra wrote:

    > I'm using a 19" Philips monitor, probably of a higher caliber than most
    > too, guess i'll have to use colours that are spaced further apart. But
    > then again site looks identicle on my sisters much older Nokia screen.

    I can make out different colours fine on my el cheapo 17" CRT. (Says
    GEM on the front and came from Radioshack 6 months ago).

    But I did find it very difficult to read (it made me squint). I could
    not view it for very long.

    Kirsty

    KirstyH, Apr 7, 2004
  9. Hardeep Rakhra

    kchayka Guest

    Hardeep Rakhra wrote:

    > http://www.makeupheaven.co.uk/kustompcs/index.html
    >
    > And see gimme a idea of what they see? You should have a yellow bar with
    > flowers in it, a gray nav bar, with more light brown navigation down the
    > left. The logo should have a astrix in the background. and the page
    > background should be yellow.

    All colors, except the gray navbar, are nearly imperceptable on my Mac
    powerbook. Granted, it's not the latest model, but I think it's on a par
    with LCD screens in general.

    --
    Reply address is a bottomless spam bucket.

    kchayka, Apr 7, 2004