Desmos is insanely fast

Reaction score
Why is Desmos (graphing calculator app for Android, ios, windows, etc) far faster than everything else in calculating?
I've done the same calculations in Mathematica, Maple, hp prime pro app on windows (ios and Android), various calculator apps on ios and Android, etc

This is one of the things I calculated.

Capital Sigma (or series summation) of the cube root of e^[sin{atan(ln[3x^2+2x-3])}] summing from x=1 to x=1,000,000.

Desmos gave an answer in LESS THAN A SECOND on a mid spec Android phone. It took Mathematica, Maple, etc with 12th generation i7 processor many seconds to compute. All other math program apps in Android and ios (including TI Nspire and many more) took longer. Is it in the code? Superior algorithm?

Reaction score
flops: floating point operations per second

Find out how many flops the computer or phone can do.

Your calculation looks like 6 million operations.

Estimate how long it should take. Time how long it actually does take. That will show the efficiency of the program.

I'm no expert, but 6 mega flops isn't much these days.

Just my opinion.

Reaction score
It was correct

Estimate how long it should take. Time how long it actually does take. That will show the efficiency of the program.

Just my opinion.
Thanks for the response but you didn’t understand the OP. Many different programs were used (even on the same device, on faster devices, etc) and they were ALL significantly slower. Mathematica is on a 12th gen i7 took many seconds. Maple, and various popular calculator apps on phone and windows were slower. The question is why?

Reaction score
Is Java script insanely faster than C (or C++) or is it the more efficient algorithm used by Desmos the reason why it can calculate the given expression on a mid-tier Android phone MANY TIMES FASTER (less than a second vs many seconds) than professional programs (mathematica, Maple, etc) on machines who hardware is multiple times faster than that that Android phone?

Reaction score

Just my opinion.
Wouldn't it be 1 shy of 20 million operations?
The innermost argument has 5 operations, then followed by 5 more operations. This gives a total of 10 operations per term. There are 1 million terms so that's 10 million operations. Then we have to add these 1 million terms. That's 999,999 more operations for a total of 19,999,999 operations. How did you get 6 million?

Reaction score
flop1: ln
flop2: inverse tan
flop3: sin
flop4: /3 (for cube root)
flop5: e^
flop6: add

3x^2+2x-3 can be computed without using floating point operations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OrderGreenAcreCBD

Latest Threads