Desperate

phantom

Hi,

I recently inherited an online application that was written by someone
who is no longer with our company. He said that he was doing it in
ASP.Net but the code is actually in C#. I am a vb 6 developer and not
familiar at all with the .net structure. It looks to me that the
person whom I inherited this program from didn't really get it either.
I am not having trouble working with the C#, I am having terrible
trouble trying to figure out how to work on a local copy of his code.

Apparently, he worked with the live, production code. I thought if I
pulled the production code from the server into SourceSafe and then
pulled a copy onto my machine from there I should be able to work with
it without affecting the online version. I was wrong. When I made a
change and ran it, I opened a separate instance of IE and went through
the normal login process a user does and found that the change WAS made
to the production code. It seems that when I run the code from my
local copy, it saves the changes to the production version on the
server.

So then I tried making a copy of the production code and putting on my
computer and pulling that code into Sourcesafe, however when I make
changes and run it, the changes are not reflected in the compiled
version. I know there must be a standard approach to this, but I don't
know what it is. There are problems with the code and I have people
breathing down my neck waiting for me to get this figured out. Can
anybody help?

WJ

phantom said:
Hi,

I recently inherited an online application that was written by someone
who is no longer with our company. He said that he was doing it in
ASP.Net but the code is actually in C#. I am a vb 6 developer and not

If you are the only developer there, then why not mess around with
"SourceSafe",
instead copy the entire solution down to your developer PC.
Below is a few things you may wish to try out see if they help:

1. Configure your pc with IIS-5 (windows xp pro)
2. Put .netfw 1.x on it.
3. Install VS.Net 2Kx on it.
4. Create a local website that mirrors the one on the server box.
5. Copy the entire solution from the server to your pc
6. Edit the "WebSiteName.csproj.webinfo" and make sure that it points to
your pc only.
Example:
<VisualStudioUNCWeb>
<Web URLPath =
"http://localhost/LocalFolder/WebSiteName.csproj" />
</VisualStudioUNCWeb>

7. Edit the "yourWebSiteName.sln" and make sure that all references point
to your pc only.
Example:
Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 8.00
Project("{AAAAA-11111}") = "yourWebSiteName",
"http://localhost/LocalFolder/WebSiteName.csproj", "{AAAAA-11111}"
ProjectSection(ProjectDependencies) = postProject
EndProjectSection
EndProject

8. Check all references and bin folders from each project within the
solution.

9. Rebuild, test, and copy necessary files to web server box.

John

Hans Kesting

phantom said:
Hi,

I recently inherited an online application that was written by someone
who is no longer with our company. He said that he was doing it in
ASP.Net but the code is actually in C#.

ASP.Net is the web-technology that uses the .Net framework. It's not
a "language". What (.net) language you do use is irrelevant.
ASP.Net works equally well with VB.Net as with C# (but Visual Studio
lets you use just one language per project).

Hans Kesting