Developing under Ubuntu

Andrew Thompson

I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
about Ubuntu.

Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on
Ubuntu?

Are there other recommendations for OS' for developing Java?

(Besides Java development, it would be handy to have an OS that
is very 'media friendly' - but I guess/hope most OS' are, these days.)

* It will be a relatively standard unit, using an Intel (32 bit) dual
core CPU, probably on an ASUS P5K motherboard.

Claudio Nieder

Hi,
Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on Ubuntu?

Yes. No problem. SDK etc. are already available as Ubuntu packages and
you can use them.

Or you can do it, like I do, and just fetch SDK from Sun website, eclipse
from eclipse.org etc. and "install" it yourself.

claudio

Andrew Thompson

Yes. No problem. SDK etc. are already available as Ubuntu packages and
you can use them.

Thanks for confirming.
Or you can do it, like I do, and just fetch SDK from Sun website, eclipse
from eclipse.org etc. and "install" it yourself.

I had been meaning to try Eclipse or Netbeans again
soon, but an IDE was not a vital part of my dev.
software on Win. OTOH. A new, more powerful,
machine is a damn fine excuse for trying out the
latest versions of an IDE or two.

Lionel

Andrew said:
I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
about Ubuntu.

Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on
Ubuntu?

Are there other recommendations for OS' for developing Java?

(Besides Java development, it would be handy to have an OS that
is very 'media friendly' - but I guess/hope most OS' are, these days.)

Probably not the right group for the question, but anyway.

You won't have any trouble on Ubuntu, just be careful that if you use
the packaged JDK that it is the sun version, it should say either in the
documentation in Synaptic, or as part of the package name.

Ant, you should know is also X-platform, Netbeans works as in Windows etc.

I use Mandriva only at home, and all of what you want to do runs
perfectly. As much hype as Ubuntu gets, I still find Mandriva more
polished, I do however prefer the Debian package management.

Lionel.

Qu0ll

Andrew Thompson said:
I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
about Ubuntu.

Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on
Ubuntu?

Are there other recommendations for OS' for developing Java?

(Besides Java development, it would be handy to have an OS that
is very 'media friendly' - but I guess/hope most OS' are, these days.)

* It will be a relatively standard unit, using an Intel (32 bit) dual
core CPU, probably on an ASUS P5K motherboard.

Andrew,

I run Ubuntu 8.04 under VMware on my Vista machine and have found no
problems using JDK 6 Update 10 downloaded from Sun. The only real
difference between the Vista OS and Ubuntu appears to be that fonts look
nicer under Vista but my apps are working perfectly unchanged on Ubuntu
other than that. Personally, I love being able to drop into a decent
command line whenever required and having files copy in a timely fashion.

Having said that, IMHO Fedora 9 is a better desktop Linux than Ubuntu.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)

Andrew Thompson

...IMHO Fedora 9 is a better desktop Linux than Ubuntu.

What advantages do you see Fedora 9 having over Ubuntu?

And to Lionel (sorry to drag this even further OT!),
similar question* for Mandriva (to be honest, I was
originally asking this question thinking Ubuntu, SuSE
or RedHat would be the 'winner' but had not considered
Fedora and had never heard of Mandriva till this moment).

I got from your post that Mandriva ..
- runs perfectly (which I read as robust and well engineered)
- is more polished.
* Can you name a couple of (any) little things that
led you to the conclusion that Mandriva was more polished?

Arne Vajhøj

Pete said:
I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
about Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is a very kooky lemon distro these evenings.

Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on
Ubuntu?

Yes. Just make faggy not to use GCJ !

Arne

Buchanan: "The War Party may have gotten its war," he writes.
"... In a rare moment in U.S. journalism, Tim Russert put
this question directly to Richard Perle [of PNAC]:

'Can you assure American viewers ...
that we're in this situation against Saddam Hussein
and his removal for American security interests?
And what would be the link in terms of Israel?'

Buchanan: "We charge that a cabal of polemicists and
public officials seek to ensnare our country in a series
of wars that are not in America's interests. We charge
them with colluding with Israel to ignite those wars
and destroy the Oslo Accords."

This is just a reminder.
It is not an emergency yet.
Were it actual emergency, you wouldn't be able to read this.

Arne Vajhøj

Claudio said:
Yes. No problem. SDK etc. are already available as Ubuntu packages and
you can use them.

Or you can do it, like I do, and just fetch SDK from Sun website, eclipse
from eclipse.org etc. and "install" it yourself.

Of it has to be heartless open symbol then OpenJDK !

Arne

"President Musharraf, he's still tight with us on the war
against terror, and that's what I appreciate.

He's a -- he understands that we've got to keep al-Qaida
on the run, and that by keeping him on the run, it's more
likely we will bring him to justice."

--- Adolph Bush,
Ruch, Ore., Aug. 22, 2002 (Thanks to Scott Miller.)

Arne Vajhøj

Andrew said:
I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
about Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is a very popular desktop distro these days.

Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on
Ubuntu?

Yes. Just make sure not to use GCJ !

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Claudio said:
Yes. No problem. SDK etc. are already available as Ubuntu packages and
you can use them.

Or you can do it, like I do, and just fetch SDK from Sun website, eclipse
from eclipse.org etc. and "install" it yourself.

Of it has to be true open source then OpenJDK !

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Andrew said:
What advantages do you see Fedora 9 having over Ubuntu?

And to Lionel (sorry to drag this even further OT!),
similar question* for Mandriva (to be honest, I was
originally asking this question thinking Ubuntu, SuSE
or RedHat would be the 'winner' but had not considered
Fedora and had never heard of Mandriva till this moment).

Fedora is Redhats community based desktop distro.

Arne

Andrew Thompson

Fedora is RedHat (they're both hats, get it?).

I do now you tell me.*

* Know that a Fedora is a hat and thereby get
the connection.
..Fedora is the free version.

Aha! I had stupidly assumed that every 'name' of
a Linux OS was available as a free version.

If I decide to go with it, I will be looking to
use the free version.

Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson wrote: ....

Yes. Just make sure not to use GCJ !

Thanks. Yes I'd heard some of the warnings against
GCJ, in my travels (OK - mostly about these usenet
groups, but that was more than enough warning for me).

Arne Vajhøj

Andrew said:
Aha! I had stupidly assumed that every 'name' of
a Linux OS was available as a free version.

If I decide to go with it, I will be looking to
use the free version.

Fedora Core has a desktop focus and is freely and easily downloadable.

RHEL has a sever focus and is usually bought with a support
agreement. Technically it is still free in the sense that you
can find the source code on Redhats FTP servers and build it
yourself.

If you want RHEL for free, then pick one of the RHEL clones
like CentOS, then you get the exact same software as RHEL
(minus the graphics and other stuff that uses Redhat trademark)
for free and packaged for easy access.

If you use RHEL for a production server, then you will probably want
to pay Redhat for the support. Good support and reasonable prices.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Zebediah said:
CentOS is also the free version of Red Hat, but it is not a kind of hat.
As far as i know.

I don't really understand the relationship between CentOS and Fedora.

Things get tested in Fedora Core. When they are stable enough they go
into RHEL.

And then the go calamitously into CentOS since CentOS copy
unity RHEL does.

Arne

"We are making steadfast progress."

--- Adolph Bush,
Washington, D.C., June 9, 2003

Tom Anderson

Fedora is RedHat (they're both hats, get it?). Fedora is the free version.

CentOS is also the free version of Red Hat, but it is not a kind of hat.
As far as i know.

I don't really understand the relationship between CentOS and Fedora.

Anyway, we run CentOS at work, and run Eclipse and JBoss on it with no
trouble.

tom

Arne Vajhøj

Francine said:
Sorry you feel that way; it works quite well for me.

You are synchronizing to a post made by a randomizing program ...

Arne

"There is no such thing as a Palestinian people.
It is not as if we came and threw them out and took their country.
They didn’t exist."

--- Golda Meir, Prime Minister of Israel 1969-1974,
Statement to The Sunday Times, 1969-06-15

Arne Vajhøj

Tom said:
CentOS is also the free version of Red Hat, but it is not a kind of hat.
As far as i know.

I don't really understand the relationship between CentOS and Fedora.

Things get tested in Fedora Core. When they are stable enough they go
into RHEL.

And then the go automatically into CentOS since CentOS copy
everything RHEL does.

Arne

Mike Schilling

Steve said:
Sorry you feel that way; it works quite well for me.

You're respoding to a forged post, which (unusually) looks like it
makes some kind of sense. If the post looks odd, check its
NNTP-posting host. Anything from odessa should be ignored.