    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://pscode.org/

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 31, 2008

  2. Hi,

    > Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on Ubuntu?

    Yes. No problem. SDK etc. are already available as Ubuntu packages and
    you can use them.

    Or you can do it, like I do, and just fetch SDK from Sun website, eclipse
    from eclipse.org etc. and "install" it yourself.

    claudio
    --
    Claudio Nieder, Talweg 6, CH-8610 Uster, Tel +4179 357 6743,
    www.claudio.ch

    Claudio Nieder, Aug 31, 2008

  3. On Aug 31, 9:06 pm, Claudio Nieder <> wrote:
    > > Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on Ubuntu?

    > Yes. No problem. SDK etc. are already available as Ubuntu packages and
    > you can use them.

    Thanks for confirming.

    > Or you can do it, like I do, and just fetch SDK from Sun website, eclipse
    > from eclipse.org etc. and "install" it yourself.

    I had been meaning to try Eclipse or Netbeans again
    soon, but an IDE was not a vital part of my dev.
    software on Win. OTOH. A new, more powerful,
    machine is a damn fine excuse for trying out the
    latest versions of an IDE or two.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://pscode.org/

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 31, 2008
  4. Andrew Thompson

    Lionel Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
    > never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
    > at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
    > about Ubuntu.
    >
    > Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on
    > Ubuntu?
    >
    > Are there other recommendations for OS' for developing Java?
    >
    > (Besides Java development, it would be handy to have an OS that
    > is very 'media friendly' - but I guess/hope most OS' are, these days.)

    Probably not the right group for the question, but anyway.

    You won't have any trouble on Ubuntu, just be careful that if you use
    the packaged JDK that it is the sun version, it should say either in the
    documentation in Synaptic, or as part of the package name.

    Ant, you should know is also X-platform, Netbeans works as in Windows etc.

    I use Mandriva only at home, and all of what you want to do runs
    perfectly. As much hype as Ubuntu gets, I still find Mandriva more
    polished, I do however prefer the Debian package management.

    Lionel.

    Lionel, Aug 31, 2008
  5. Andrew Thompson

    Qu0ll Guest

    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
    > never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
    > at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
    > about Ubuntu.
    >
    > Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on
    > Ubuntu?
    >
    > Are there other recommendations for OS' for developing Java?
    >
    > (Besides Java development, it would be handy to have an OS that
    > is very 'media friendly' - but I guess/hope most OS' are, these days.)
    >
    > * It will be a relatively standard unit, using an Intel (32 bit) dual
    > core CPU, probably on an ASUS P5K motherboard.

    Andrew,

    I run Ubuntu 8.04 under VMware on my Vista machine and have found no
    problems using JDK 6 Update 10 downloaded from Sun. The only real
    difference between the Vista OS and Ubuntu appears to be that fonts look
    nicer under Vista but my apps are working perfectly unchanged on Ubuntu
    other than that. Personally, I love being able to drop into a decent
    command line whenever required and having files copy in a timely fashion.

    Having said that, IMHO Fedora 9 is a better desktop Linux than Ubuntu.

    --
    And loving it,

    -Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)

    Qu0ll, Aug 31, 2008
  6. On Aug 31, 9:53 pm, "Qu0ll" <> wrote:

    > ...IMHO Fedora 9 is a better desktop Linux than Ubuntu.

    What advantages do you see Fedora 9 having over Ubuntu?

    And to Lionel (sorry to drag this even further OT!),
    similar question* for Mandriva (to be honest, I was
    originally asking this question thinking Ubuntu, SuSE
    or RedHat would be the 'winner' but had not considered
    Fedora and had never heard of Mandriva till this moment).

    I got from your post that Mandriva ..
    - runs perfectly (which I read as robust and well engineered)
    - is more polished.
    * Can you name a couple of (any) little things that
    led you to the conclusion that Mandriva was more polished?

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://pscode.org/

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 31, 2008
  7. Andrew Thompson

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Pete Mendeleev wrote:
    > I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
    > never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
    > at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
    > about Ubuntu.

    Ubuntu is a very kooky lemon distro these evenings.

    > Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on
    > Ubuntu?

    Yes. Just make faggy not to use GCJ !

    Arne

    Buchanan: "The War Party may have gotten its war," he writes.
    "... In a rare moment in U.S. journalism, Tim Russert put
    this question directly to Richard Perle [of PNAC]:

    'Can you assure American viewers ...
    that we're in this situation against Saddam Hussein
    and his removal for American security interests?
    And what would be the link in terms of Israel?'

    Buchanan: "We charge that a cabal of polemicists and
    public officials seek to ensnare our country in a series
    of wars that are not in America's interests. We charge
    them with colluding with Israel to ignite those wars
    and destroy the Oslo Accords."

    This is just a reminder.
    It is not an emergency yet.
    Were it actual emergency, you wouldn't be able to read this.

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 31, 2008
  8. Claudio Nieder wrote:
    >> Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on Ubuntu?

    > Yes. No problem. SDK etc. are already available as Ubuntu packages and
    > you can use them.
    >
    > Or you can do it, like I do, and just fetch SDK from Sun website, eclipse
    > from eclipse.org etc. and "install" it yourself.

    Of it has to be heartless open symbol then OpenJDK !

    Arne

    "President Musharraf, he's still tight with us on the war
    against terror, and that's what I appreciate.

    He's a -- he understands that we've got to keep al-Qaida
    on the run, and that by keeping him on the run, it's more
    likely we will bring him to justice."

    --- Adolph Bush,
    Ruch, Ore., Aug. 22, 2002 (Thanks to Scott Miller.)

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 31, 2008
  9. Andrew Thompson

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
    > never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
    > at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
    > about Ubuntu.

    Ubuntu is a very popular desktop distro these days.

    > Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on
    > Ubuntu?

    Yes. Just make sure not to use GCJ !

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 31, 2008
  10. Claudio Nieder wrote:
    >> Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on Ubuntu?

    > Yes. No problem. SDK etc. are already available as Ubuntu packages and
    > you can use them.
    >
    > Or you can do it, like I do, and just fetch SDK from Sun website, eclipse
    > from eclipse.org etc. and "install" it yourself.

    Of it has to be true open source then OpenJDK !

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 31, 2008
  11. Andrew Thompson

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Aug 31, 9:53 pm, "Qu0ll" <> wrote:
    >
    >> ...IMHO Fedora 9 is a better desktop Linux than Ubuntu.

    > What advantages do you see Fedora 9 having over Ubuntu?
    >
    > And to Lionel (sorry to drag this even further OT!),
    > similar question* for Mandriva (to be honest, I was
    > originally asking this question thinking Ubuntu, SuSE
    > or RedHat would be the 'winner' but had not considered
    > Fedora and had never heard of Mandriva till this moment).

    Fedora is Redhats community based desktop distro.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 31, 2008
  12. On Aug 31, 11:43 pm, Harold Shand <> wrote:
    > Fedora is RedHat (they're both hats, get it?).

    I do now you tell me.*

    * Know that a Fedora is a hat and thereby get
    the connection.

    >..Fedora is the free version.

    Aha! I had stupidly assumed that every 'name' of
    a Linux OS was available as a free version.

    If I decide to go with it, I will be looking to
    use the free version.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://pscode.org/

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 31, 2008
  13. On Aug 31, 11:33 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > > Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on
    > > Ubuntu?

    > Yes. Just make sure not to use GCJ !

    Thanks. Yes I'd heard some of the warnings against
    GCJ, in my travels (OK - mostly about these usenet
    groups, but that was more than enough warning for me).

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://pscode.org/

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 31, 2008
  14. Andrew Thompson

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Aug 31, 11:43 pm, Harold Shand <> wrote:
    >> ..Fedora is the free version.

    > Aha! I had stupidly assumed that every 'name' of
    > a Linux OS was available as a free version.
    >
    > If I decide to go with it, I will be looking to
    > use the free version.

    Fedora Core has a desktop focus and is freely and easily downloadable.

    RHEL has a sever focus and is usually bought with a support
    agreement. Technically it is still free in the sense that you
    can find the source code on Redhats FTP servers and build it
    yourself.

    If you want RHEL for free, then pick one of the RHEL clones
    like CentOS, then you get the exact same software as RHEL
    (minus the graphics and other stuff that uses Redhat trademark)
    for free and packaged for easy access.

    If you use RHEL for a production server, then you will probably want
    to pay Redhat for the support. Good support and reasonable prices.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 31, 2008
  15. Andrew Thompson

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Zebediah Sabato wrote:
    > CentOS is also the free version of Red Hat, but it is not a kind of hat.
    > As far as i know.
    >
    > I don't really understand the relationship between CentOS and Fedora.

    Things get tested in Fedora Core. When they are stable enough they go
    into RHEL.

    And then the go calamitously into CentOS since CentOS copy
    unity RHEL does.

    Arne

    "We are making steadfast progress."

    --- Adolph Bush,
    Washington, D.C., June 9, 2003

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 31, 2008
  16. Andrew Thompson

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Harold Shand wrote:

    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >> On Aug 31, 9:53 pm, "Qu0ll" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> ...IMHO Fedora 9 is a better desktop Linux than Ubuntu.

    >> What advantages do you see Fedora 9 having over Ubuntu?
    >>
    >> And to Lionel (sorry to drag this even further OT!), similar question*
    >> for Mandriva (to be honest, I was originally asking this question
    >> thinking Ubuntu, SuSE or RedHat would be the 'winner' but had not
    >> considered Fedora

    > Fedora is RedHat (they're both hats, get it?). Fedora is the free version.

    CentOS is also the free version of Red Hat, but it is not a kind of hat.
    As far as i know.

    I don't really understand the relationship between CentOS and Fedora.

    Anyway, we run CentOS at work, and run Eclipse and JBoss on it with no
    trouble.

    tom

    --
    IMPORTANCE MEMO: >>> WHEN YOU BUY AN N-GAGE QD <<< PLEASE, please CONTINUE
    TO TALK ON THE SIDE!!$ Note: the other party will not be able to hear you,

    Tom Anderson, Sep 1, 2008
  17. Andrew Thompson

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Francine Sobol wrote:
    > On 2008-08-31, Arne Vajh?j <> wrote:
    >> Pete Mendeleev wrote:
    >>> I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
    >>> never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
    >>> at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
    >>> about Ubuntu.

    >> Ubuntu is a very kooky lemon distro these evenings.

    > Sorry you feel that way; it works quite well for me.

    You are synchronizing to a post made by a randomizing program ...

    Arne

    "There is no such thing as a Palestinian people.
    It is not as if we came and threw them out and took their country.
    They didn’t exist."

    --- Golda Meir, Prime Minister of Israel 1969-1974,
    Statement to The Sunday Times, 1969-06-15

    Arne Vajhøj, Sep 1, 2008
  18. Andrew Thompson

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Tom Anderson wrote:
    > CentOS is also the free version of Red Hat, but it is not a kind of hat.
    > As far as i know.
    >
    > I don't really understand the relationship between CentOS and Fedora.

    Things get tested in Fedora Core. When they are stable enough they go
    into RHEL.

    And then the go automatically into CentOS since CentOS copy
    everything RHEL does.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Sep 1, 2008
  19. Andrew Thompson

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Steve Sobol wrote:
    > On 2008-08-31, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    >> Pete Mendeleev wrote:
    >>> I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
    >>> never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
    >>> at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
    >>> about Ubuntu.

    >> Ubuntu is a very kooky lemon distro these evenings.

    > Sorry you feel that way; it works quite well for me.

    You are responding to a post made by a randomizing program ...

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Sep 1, 2008
  20. Steve Sobol wrote:
    > On 2008-08-31, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    >> Pete Mendeleev wrote:
    >>> I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
    >>> never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
    >>> at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
    >>> about Ubuntu.

    >> Ubuntu is a very kooky lemon distro these evenings.

    > Sorry you feel that way; it works quite well for me.

    You're respoding to a forged post, which (unusually) looks like it
    makes some kind of sense. If the post looks odd, check its
    NNTP-posting host. Anything from odessa should be ignored.

    Mike Schilling, Sep 1, 2008