DeviceSpecific filter "isPocketIE" does not work

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Justin Roberts, Oct 31, 2007.

  1. Hi

    I am developing a mobile web VB asp.net application in VS 2005. The forms
    are mobile web forms. I have a mobile web configuration page (web.config).
    In one of my forms I have a DeviceSpecific control so that I can choose to
    use an asp:TextBox when PocketIE is detected, otherwise I want to use a
    mobile:TextView control.

    Here is a snippet of my asp code:

    <mobile:panel ID="pnlReport" Runat="server" Font-Name="Arial"
    Font-Size="Small" Paginate="True">
    <mobile:DeviceSpecific id="DeviceSpecificEdit" runat="server">
    <Choice Filter="isPocketIE">
    <ContentTemplate>
    <asp:TextBox id="txtReport" runat="server"
    TextMode="MultiLine" Rows="5" Wrapping="Wrap"/>
    </ContentTemplate>
    </Choice>
    <Choice>
    <ContentTemplate>
    <mobile:TextView ID="txtReport" Runat="server"
    Wrapping="Wrap">
    </mobile:TextView>
    </ContentTemplate>
    </Choice>
    </mobile:DeviceSpecific>
    </mobile:panel>

    Unfortunately the Device Specific filter never works on the Pocket PC 2003
    SE Emulator that ships with VS2005. The asp.net code always runs the default
    choice. I have discovered that the Internet explorer on Pocket PC seems to
    return a MobileCapabilities browser type of "MSIE".

    I have looked everywhere for examples and cannot see anything I have done
    wrong. How do I ensure that PocketPc 2003 will run the "isPocketIE" device
    code and not always choose the default choice?

    I should note that my web.config file contains amongst it's device filters:
    <filter name="isPocketIE" compare="Browser" argument="Pocket IE" /> I have
    also tried using "isHTML32" but that doesn't work either.

    Has anyone come across this before and discovered what to do. Any help would
    be much appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Regards
    Justin.