Devious linkage to enter Web site

Guest

I've been having all sorts of problems with spam/porn in my genealgy Guestbook. I found an interesting page today that gets around crawlers (hopefully) by a technique I can't figure out from the raw HTML code, which seems basic and simple.

Clicking on an image and asking people to sign in by a word in the image admits you. It sounds like what I'm looking for without going to JS or Java.

Can someone help please?

Thanks,
Don
Username munged by FixNews

Guest

http://www.sonic.net/~melvaw/

Clicking on an image and asking people to sign in by a word in the image admits you. It sounds like what I'm looking for without going to JS or Java.

Can someone help please?

Thanks,
Don
Username munged by FixNews

Hywel

I've been having all sorts of problems with spam/porn in my genealgy Guestbook. I found an interesting page today that gets around crawlers (hopefully) by a technique I can't figure out from the raw HTML code, which seems basic and simple.

Clicking on an image and asking people to sign in by a word in the image admits you. It sounds like what I'm looking for without going to JS or Java.

Can someone help please?

Do it with a bit of PHP and the GD or GD2 library.

brucie

in post: <
I've been having all sorts of problems with spam/porn in my genealgy
Guestbook. [...] Clicking on an image and asking people to sign in by
a word in the image admits you.

what you're looking for is a CAPTCHA[1] script. while they look like
they're effective against non-humans they're not. rates for successfully
cracking them are around 80-95% depending on the method CAPTCHA used to
generate the image.

if you implemented CAPTCHA i don't think anyone would go to the effort
of cracking it just to spam a guestbook so you're probably safe. in fact
you could probably get away without it. just use a normal image changed
every week or so. on the form ask people to enter the text on the image.
simple.

[1]
CAPTCHA - Completely Automated Public Turing test to Tell Computers and
Humans Apart

OCR CAPTCHA
http://phpclasses.dknss.com/browse/package/1538.html
HN CAPTCHA