    Thanks,
    Don
    Username munged by FixNews

    Don@NoSpam, Jul 5, 2004

  2. Don@NoSpam

    Don@NoSpam Guest

    Don@NoSpam wrote:

    > I've been having all sorts of problems with spam/porn in my genealgy Guestbook. I found an interesting page today that gets around crawlers (hopefully) by a technique I can't figure out from the raw HTML code, which seems basic and simple.
    > http://www.sonic.net/~melvaw/
    >
    > Clicking on an image and asking people to sign in by a word in the image admits you. It sounds like what I'm looking for without going to JS or Java.
    >
    > Can someone help please?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Don

    Username munged by FixNews

    Don@NoSpam, Jul 5, 2004

  3. Don@NoSpam

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > I've been having all sorts of problems with spam/porn in my genealgy Guestbook. I found an interesting page today that gets around crawlers (hopefully) by a technique I can't figure out from the raw HTML code, which seems basic and simple.
    >
    > Clicking on an image and asking people to sign in by a word in the image admits you. It sounds like what I'm looking for without going to JS or Java.
    >
    > Can someone help please?

    Do it with a bit of PHP and the GD or GD2 library.

    --
    Hywel

    Big Brother Petition - Better TV Wanted!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/BBFlood/
    Hywel, Jul 5, 2004
  4. Don@NoSpam

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:>
    <Don@NoSpam> said:

    > I've been having all sorts of problems with spam/porn in my genealgy
    > Guestbook. [...] Clicking on an image and asking people to sign in by
    > a word in the image admits you.

    what you're looking for is a CAPTCHA[1] script. while they look like
    they're effective against non-humans they're not. rates for successfully
    cracking them are around 80-95% depending on the method CAPTCHA used to
    generate the image.

    if you implemented CAPTCHA i don't think anyone would go to the effort
    of cracking it just to spam a guestbook so you're probably safe. in fact
    you could probably get away without it. just use a normal image changed
    every week or so. on the form ask people to enter the text on the image.
    simple.

    [1]
    CAPTCHA - Completely Automated Public Turing test to Tell Computers and
    Humans Apart

    OCR CAPTCHA
    http://phpclasses.dknss.com/browse/package/1538.html
    HN CAPTCHA