Difference between Distributed ruby and Rinda

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Hema Latha, Aug 29, 2007.

  1. Hema Latha

    Hema Latha Guest

    Hema Latha, Aug 29, 2007

  2. Hema Latha

    Guest

    On Aug 29, 7:48 am, Hema Latha <> wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me the difference between Distributed ruby and rinda?

    Rinda uses Distributed Ruby (DRb) in its Tuplespace implementation.
    That being said, you can use DRb without using Rinda. I view DRb as
    similar to many other languages' remoting frameworks; Corba, JINI,
    Httpinvoker, etc. The main advantage is that DRb has a lower barrier
    to entry.

    I have no experience with other tuplespace implementations but I've
    heard it was originally based off a java project called Linda.
    Playing around with Rinda actually helped me in understanding Erlang's
    process 'mail boxes', which I find quite similar.

    , Aug 30, 2007

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Aug 30, 2007

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Aug 31, 2007

    Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
    > Oh it'll be TCP, all right. I was just thinking of the way that Erlang uses
    > to specify PIDs, with strings containing embedded machine identifiers. But
    > we know that the Erlang way works, because Ericsson supposedly has
    > distributed applications with literally millions of distributed processes.

    And just look at some of the options the Linux kernel (2.6.22) provides
    just for congestion control and quality of service:

    --- TCP: advanced congestion control
    <M> Binary Increase Congestion (BIC) control
    <*> CUBIC TCP
    <M> TCP Westwood+
    <M> H-TCP
    <M> High Speed TCP
    <M> TCP-Hybla congestion control algorithm
    <M> TCP Vegas
    <M> Scalable TCP
    <M> TCP Low Priority
    <M> TCP Veno
    Default TCP congestion control (Cubic) --->

    [*] QoS and/or fair queueing
    Packet scheduler clock source (CPU cycle counter) --->
    --- Queueing/Scheduling
    <M> Class Based Queueing (CBQ)
    <M> Hierarchical Token Bucket (HTB)
    <M> Hierarchical Fair Service Curve (HFSC)
    <M> ATM Virtual Circuits (ATM)
    <M> Multi Band Priority Queueing (PRIO)
    <M> Random Early Detection (RED)
    <M> Stochastic Fairness Queueing (SFQ)
    <M> True Link Equalizer (TEQL)
    <M> Token Bucket Filter (TBF)
    <M> Generic Random Early Detection (GRED)

    <M> Differentiated Services marker (DSMARK)
    <M> Network emulator (NETEM)
    <M> Ingress Qdisc
    --- Classification
    <M> Elementary classification (BASIC)
    <M> Traffic-Control Index (TCINDEX)
    <M> Routing decision (ROUTE)
    <M> Netfilter mark (FW)
    <M> Universal 32bit comparisons w/ hashing (U32)
    [*] Performance counters support
    [*] Netfilter marks support
    <M> IPv4 Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP)
    <M> IPv6 Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP6)
    [*] Extended Matches
    (32) Stack size
    <M> Simple packet data comparison
    <M> Multi byte comparison
    <M> U32 key
    <M> Metadata
    <M> Textsearch
    [*] Actions
    <M> Traffic Policing
    <M> Generic actions
    [*] Probability support
    <M> Redirecting and Mirroring
    <M> IPtables targets
    <M> Packet Editing
    < > Simple Example (Debug)
    [*] Incoming device classification
    --- Rate estimator

    Someone insanely geekier than I am ought to be able to squeeze all the
    delays out of this given all those options.

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Aug 31, 2007
  6. On 30 Aug 2007, at 15:14, Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
    > The most interesting feature (being able to send messages to "spawned
    > processes" that are resident in other O/S processes or on other
    > machines)
    > isn't done yet. I'm not that thrilled with how Erlang does it, by
    > the way
    > (IP addresses and ranges of well-known ports) but I haven't thought of
    > anything better. DNS service records, maybe?

    You might like to take a look at DNS NAPTR records. They're not
    exactly well supported yet outside of ENUM projects, but they have
    lots of flexibility that you might find useful.

    At some point in the non-too-distant future I even hope to publish a
    decent Ruby library for handling them as part of my RINDR DNS server
    project.

    Ellie

    Eleanor McHugh
    Games With Brains