Difference between XPath, XLink, XPointer and DOM?

Discussion in 'XML' started by DV, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. DV

    DV Guest

    Hello,

    can anyone tell me or point me to somewhere what the exact differences
    (in terms of when would I use what) between XPath, XLink, XPointer and
    DOM are?

    Does it require special software to use any of these, or can any
    XML-aware software (parser/validator or xsl- enginge) use any of
    these?

    Are these technologies already firmly standardised or would you
    consider them "moving targets" and advice caution when basing
    workflows on them?

    Thank you very much in advance,
    Bye,
    FK.

    DV, Apr 19, 2004

  2. DV wrote:

    > can anyone tell me or point me to somewhere what the exact differences
    > (in terms of when would I use what) between XPath, XLink, XPointer and
    > DOM are?
    >
    > Does it require special software to use any of these, or can any
    > XML-aware software (parser/validator or xsl- enginge) use any of
    > these?
    >
    > Are these technologies already firmly standardised or would you
    > consider them "moving targets" and advice caution when basing
    > workflows on them?

    Well, all are W3C recommendations (standards) so visit the W3C web site
    to find out more.
    As for XPath, yes, XPath 1.0 is a recommendation (firmly standardized)
    since November 1999:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath
    and XSLT (XSL Transformations) 1.0 which uses XPath has the same date.
    Work on XPath 2.0 and XSLT 2.0 however is still going on so these are so
    far not firmly standardized.

    As for the DOM, the W3C DOM group has so far produced three levels, see
    http://www.w3.org/DOM/DOMTR
    where W3C DOM Level 1 is a recommendation from 1998, while most modules
    of DOM Level 2 are dated from November 2000, and where the first modules
    from DOM Level 3 have also reached recommendation status in 2004.
    As DOM has different modules for different aspects and some modules are
    extensions it is hard to give a judgement for the whole DOM but in my
    view DOM Level 2 Core is well established when you look at
    implementations in web browsers or with DOM parsers in different
    programming languages.
    As for what the DOM is and covers see
    http://www.w3.org/DOM/#what
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Core-20001113/introduction.html
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-DOM-Level-3-Core-20040407/introduction.html

    As for XLink, XLink 1.0 is a recommendation since June 2001, see
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/
    but it is a complex specification with many aspects and only some
    features (called simple XLinks) for instance have made it into the
    Mozilla browser.

    As for XPointer, it is like XLink a recommendation of the W3C XML
    Linking Work Group and reached recommendation status in March 2003.

    As for what software supports it, any XSLT processor needs to support
    XPath as XSLT makes use of XPath. Not all XSLT processor however do
    probably expose an API to only use XPath.

    As for the DOM there are parsers that can build a document object model
    but there are also other parsers like SAX which don't do that. Some XSLT
    processors can operate on DOM trees but that is not a requirement for
    XSLT, it has its only tree model.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/#app-reqs explains what an XLink application
    is, so far I haven't worked with one, as said I only know about simple
    XLinks in Mozilla.
    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/