Difficulty Sending email from Python

Ben Fairbank

The Python Library Reference Section 12.2.13 gives an example of how
to send a simple text message. When I try that, my program seems to
start and run OK, my firewall asks for permission for PythonWin to
access the internet, then it gets to the line s.connect()
and I get an error message whose last two lines are

raise SMTPServerDisconnected("Connection unexpectedly closed")
SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed

Now, the odd thing is that when I use my newserver (Free Agent
1.21/32) and try to send email in response to an article I have read,
I get the same error message: Connection unexpectedly closed.

Obviously the problem is not in Python, but in something in my system.
I would welcome suggestions to help untangle it. I have a DSL
connection to SBCglobal.net. I usually get and send my email through
an address at texas.net, not SBCglobal.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ben Fairbank

Rene Pijlman

Ben Fairbank:
my firewall asks for permission for PythonWin to access the internet [...]
I get the same error message: Connection unexpectedly closed. [...]
Any ideas?

Your firewall.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Ben Fairbank fed this fish to the penguins on Friday 21 November 2003
21:32 pm:
The Python Library Reference Section 12.2.13 gives an example of how
to send a simple text message. When I try that, my program seems to
start and run OK, my firewall asks for permission for PythonWin to

I presume you have given (and saved for future -- I've seen a few
applications that seem to give up during the time it takes to respond
to a ZoneAlarm prompt) the permission.
Now, the odd thing is that when I use my newserver (Free Agent

(Free)Agent is a news CLIENT.
1.21/32) and try to send email in response to an article I have read,
I get the same error message: Connection unexpectedly closed.
Are both the Python script and FA configured to use the same SMTPd as
your main email client? Same host, same user (if needed).