directory tag

Hywel Jenkins

Huub said:
Hi,

I'm writing a file which has a selection-form that should display the
contents of a predefined directory. I found the <dir> tag but it appears
to be depricated. Is there any tag I could or should use for this task?

Doubt it. Your question doesn't contain enough detail. Where is the
predefined directory? What does the selection form do?

Jukka K. Korpela

Huub said:
The selection form is actually meant to be a selection list. With this
list you should be able to select a document from the predefined
directory c:\Toevoegen.

Why don't you explain what you are really doing? You seem to have a specific
machine-dependent application in your mind, and HTML is probably one of the
hard and unsuccessful ways of creating it. HTML isn't a programming language
or a GUI, just a poor lonesome data format. There are no directories in HTML,
to begin with.

David Dorward

Huub said:
I'm writing a file which has a selection-form that should display the
contents of a predefined directory.

Assuming that "selection-form" means "A form containing a <select> element",
then you need to populate that element with suitable <option> elements.
HTML cannot read a directory and generate markup from it, you would need to
use some form of server side processing. The specifics of which would
depend on the capabilities of your webserver.
I found the <dir> tag but it appears to be depricated.

Which was intended to markup directory listings, not to generate them.
Is there any tag I could or should use for this task?

No.

Huub

Hi,

I'm writing a file which has a selection-form that should display the
contents of a predefined directory. I found the <dir> tag but it appears
to be depricated. Is there any tag I could or should use for this task?

Thanks

Huub

Huub

Jukka said:
Why don't you explain what you are really doing? You seem to have a specific
machine-dependent application in your mind, and HTML is probably one of the
hard and unsuccessful ways of creating it. HTML isn't a programming language
or a GUI, just a poor lonesome data format. There are no directories in HTML,
to begin with.

What I'm doing (really) is this: creating a HTML/ASP script. With this
script the maintainer of a webpage can select an M$ Word document (by
means of a selection list) from a predefined directory and put the name
of that document into a file. This contents of this file, containing
documentnames, will be shown as a frame in another webpage. I hope this
clears things up.

Disco Octopus

Huub said:
What I'm doing (really) is this: creating a HTML/ASP script. With this
script the maintainer of a webpage can select an M$ Word document (by
means of a selection list) from a predefined directory and put the name
of that document into a file. This contents of this file, containing
documentnames, will be shown as a frame in another webpage. I hope this
clears things up.

Is it possible for you to use the <input type="file">. they can then choose
whatever doc they want from whatever directory.
You then upload it to your server, and send it back out to the other frame.
Perhaps not exactly what you had in mind, but may a workable solution to a
problem that can not be solve with HTML.

Jukka K. Korpela

Disco Octopus said:
Is it possible for you to use the <input type="file">.

Yep. The hard part is to write the handling of the submitted file (after
checking its size, the user's credentials, and a few other things).
The generics (with almost no info on ASP specifics, sorry) are described at
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/file.html
they can then
choose whatever doc they want from whatever directory.

Yes. But there's unfortunately no way to restrict the choices (filter the
view) to Word documents, except manually by the user in the dialog.

Neither is there any way to set the initial directory in the form.
You then upload it to your server, and send it back out to the other
frame.

Maybe. But frames are considered evil, and displaying a Word document "inside
a browser" all too often messes things up.

Huub

Is it possible for you to use the said:
Yep. The hard part is to write the handling of the submitted file (after
checking its size, the user's credentials, and a few other things).
The generics (with almost no info on ASP specifics, sorry) are described at
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/file.html

Yes. But there's unfortunately no way to restrict the choices (filter the
view) to Word documents, except manually by the user in the dialog.

Neither is there any way to set the initial directory in the form.

Maybe. But frames are considered evil, and displaying a Word document "inside
a browser" all too often messes things up.

Thank you for your help.