directory tag

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Hywel Jenkins, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. In article <43835f05$0$13782$4all.nl>, Huub
    <"h.v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm writing a file which has a selection-form that should display the
    > contents of a predefined directory. I found the <dir> tag but it appears
    > to be depricated. Is there any tag I could or should use for this task?

    Doubt it. Your question doesn't contain enough detail. Where is the
    predefined directory? What does the selection form do?

    --

    Hywel
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Huub <"h.v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:

    > The selection form is actually meant to be a selection list. With this
    > list you should be able to select a document from the predefined
    > directory c:\Toevoegen.

    Why don't you explain what you are really doing? You seem to have a specific
    machine-dependent application in your mind, and HTML is probably one of the
    hard and unsuccessful ways of creating it. HTML isn't a programming language
    or a GUI, just a poor lonesome data format. There are no directories in HTML,
    to begin with.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Huub <"h.v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:

    > I'm writing a file which has a selection-form that should display the
    > contents of a predefined directory.

    Assuming that "selection-form" means "A form containing a <select> element",
    then you need to populate that element with suitable <option> elements.
    HTML cannot read a directory and generate markup from it, you would need to
    use some form of server side processing. The specifics of which would
    depend on the capabilities of your webserver.

    > I found the <dir> tag but it appears to be depricated.

    Which was intended to markup directory listings, not to generate them.

    > Is there any tag I could or should use for this task?

    No.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    Huub, Nov 22, 2005
  5. Hywel Jenkins

    Huub Guest

    Huub, Nov 22, 2005
  6. Hywel Jenkins

    Huub Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Huub <"h.v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    >

    >>The selection form is actually meant to be a selection list. With this
    >>list you should be able to select a document from the predefined
    >>directory c:\Toevoegen.

    > Why don't you explain what you are really doing? You seem to have a specific
    > machine-dependent application in your mind, and HTML is probably one of the
    > hard and unsuccessful ways of creating it. HTML isn't a programming language
    > or a GUI, just a poor lonesome data format. There are no directories in HTML,
    > to begin with.

    What I'm doing (really) is this: creating a HTML/ASP script. With this
    script the maintainer of a webpage can select an M$ Word document (by
    means of a selection list) from a predefined directory and put the name
    of that document into a file. This contents of this file, containing
    documentnames, will be shown as a frame in another webpage. I hope this
    clears things up.

    Huub, Nov 22, 2005
  7. Huub wrote:

    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >> Huub <"h.v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    >>

    >>>The selection form is actually meant to be a selection list. With this
    >>>list you should be able to select a document from the predefined
    >>>directory c:\Toevoegen.

    >> Why don't you explain what you are really doing? You seem to have a specific
    >> machine-dependent application in your mind, and HTML is probably one of the
    >> hard and unsuccessful ways of creating it. HTML isn't a programming language
    >> or a GUI, just a poor lonesome data format. There are no directories in HTML,
    >> to begin with.
    >>

    > What I'm doing (really) is this: creating a HTML/ASP script. With this
    > script the maintainer of a webpage can select an M$ Word document (by
    > means of a selection list) from a predefined directory and put the name
    > of that document into a file. This contents of this file, containing
    > documentnames, will be shown as a frame in another webpage. I hope this
    > clears things up.

    Is it possible for you to use the <input type="file">. they can then choose
    whatever doc they want from whatever directory.
    You then upload it to your server, and send it back out to the other frame.
    Perhaps not exactly what you had in mind, but may a workable solution to a
    problem that can not be solve with HTML.

    --
    mmmmm, jerky : http://www.choicebeefjerky.com.au
    dance with children in the rain

    Disco Octopus, Nov 22, 2005
  8. Disco Octopus <> wrote:

    >> What I'm doing (really) is this: creating a HTML/ASP script. With this
    >> script the maintainer of a webpage can select an M$ Word document (by
    >> means of a selection list) from a predefined directory and put the name
    >> of that document into a file. This contents of this file, containing
    >> documentnames, will be shown as a frame in another webpage. I hope this
    >> clears things up.

    > Is it possible for you to use the <input type="file">.

    Yep. The hard part is to write the handling of the submitted file (after
    checking its size, the user's credentials, and a few other things).
    The generics (with almost no info on ASP specifics, sorry) are described at
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/file.html

    > they can then
    > choose whatever doc they want from whatever directory.

    Yes. But there's unfortunately no way to restrict the choices (filter the
    view) to Word documents, except manually by the user in the dialog.

    Neither is there any way to set the initial directory in the form.

    > You then upload it to your server, and send it back out to the other
    > frame.

    Maybe. But frames are considered evil, and displaying a Word document "inside
    a browser" all too often messes things up.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 22, 2005
  9. Hywel Jenkins

    Huub Guest

    >>Is it possible for you to use the <input type="file">.
    >

    > Yep. The hard part is to write the handling of the submitted file (after
    > checking its size, the user's credentials, and a few other things).
    > The generics (with almost no info on ASP specifics, sorry) are described at
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/file.html
    >

    >>they can then
    >>choose whatever doc they want from whatever directory.

    > Yes. But there's unfortunately no way to restrict the choices (filter the
    > view) to Word documents, except manually by the user in the dialog.
    >
    > Neither is there any way to set the initial directory in the form.
    >

    >>You then upload it to your server, and send it back out to the other
    >>frame.

    > Maybe. But frames are considered evil, and displaying a Word document "inside
    > a browser" all too often messes things up.

    Thank you for your help.

    Huub, Nov 23, 2005