Disadvantages of Iframe

Karim

I am planning to use IFrame because I like the fact the page "looks like"
it's getting new content without being refreshed. Any disadvantages of
using Iframes other than not being supported by some browsers like NN4?

Jeffrey Silverman

I am planning to use IFrame because I like the fact the page "looks like"
it's getting new content without being refreshed. Any disadvantages of
using Iframes other than not being supported by some browsers like NN4?

All of the disadvantages of using frames, in general.

Google on
"why not use frames"

If you can, use CSS to simulate a stationary frame. (Of course, the
crapnugget browser IE is broken when using position:fixed but there are
workarounds.)

later, hoss...

Karim

That page is specific to frames, not iframes.

While I don't like frames I think iframes are a bit different.

- An iframe is positioned just like an image. So when you book mark a page
containing an iframe, you're bookmarking the page. There are no framesets
involved.

- I am not interested in search engines. The iframed pages are for internal
use to the site for members only. I can't confirm the search engine issue.

- The browser's print print whats you see in the page including the iframe.

- There are no extra scrollbars.

Karim

All of the disadvantages of using frames, in general.

Google on
"why not use frames"

If you can, use CSS to simulate a stationary frame. (Of course, the
crapnugget browser IE is broken when using position:fixed but there are
workarounds.)

My idea to using an iframe is that I have some page that are done by
someone else. However, to save time and work, I wanted to add a nav bar to
the left of these page and leave these pages as is in order not to mess
them up and break their layout.

My solution was to create a new page with the nav bar and an iframe that
holds the rest of the page which loads the requested page.

or

create a new page with a table with two columns and one row. One column
loads the nav bar and the other holds the body of the ready made page.

David Dorward

Karim said:
That page is specific to frames, not iframes.

iframes ARE frames
- An iframe is positioned just like an image. So when you book mark a page
containing an iframe, you're bookmarking the page. There are no framesets
involved.

That makes the assumption that you don't change the document loaded into the
iframe using JavaScript or a link with a target attribute.

If you don't do such a thing - then why use an iframe in the first place?
You can use CSS to achive the same effect but without the negative impact
on browsers which don't support iframes in a graphical way.
- There are no extra scrollbars.

That makes the assumption that the document loaded into the iframe will
never be larger then the space you provide for it. Unless it contains
nothing except graphics you can not be sure of this.

Steve R.

Karim wrote in message ...
My idea to using an iframe is that I have some page that
are done by someone else.

Why don't you make a link to a simple framset for that one page. Use the
header for your links and the other person simply puts their work in the
frame below, because you can point the content to anywhere , on another
server if you wish.

The header to all intents is yours, will be *google-able* and can be
integrated into the rest of you website, as in ...
http://www.myby.myby.co.uk/single_frame/

Karim

iframes ARE frames

That makes the assumption that you don't change the document loaded into the
iframe using JavaScript or a link with a target attribute.

If you don't do such a thing - then why use an iframe in the first place?
You can use CSS to achive the same effect but without the negative impact
on browsers which don't support iframes in a graphical way.

Do you have a CSS example?

Karim

DU

Karim said:
That page is specific to frames, not iframes.

While I don't like frames I think iframes are a bit different.

I used to think like you on this (iframes != frames) but now I'm
changing my mind.
- An iframe is positioned just like an image. So when you book mark a page
containing an iframe, you're bookmarking the page. There are no framesets
involved.

- I am not interested in search engines. The iframed pages are for internal
use to the site for members only. I can't confirm the search engine issue.

- The browser's print print whats you see in the page including the iframe.

Print options in MSIE 6, Mozilla-based browsers and Opera 7.x allow the
user to print any individual frame or the whole frameset. So, there is
no benefit nor specific disadvantage of iframes over frames regarding
printing.
- There are no extra scrollbars.

What do you mean by extra scrollbars? FWIW, both frame and iframe have
the scrolling attribute and its default value is auto.

DU