    For example, a welcome message. I know I can do this with response.write,
    but I'd like to have a general method of displaying messages to the user.

    Thanks a lot all.
    Marge, Oct 30, 2008

  2. Marge

    Marge Guest

    I meant to add this in the post. I've tried using this code, but nothing
    happens:

    <%
    msg = "Just a Test Message"
    Response.Write("<" & "script language=VBScript>")
    Response.Write("MsgBox """ & msg & """<" & "/script>")
    %>

    Marge, Oct 30, 2008

  3. Marge

    Tim Slattery Guest

    "Marge" <> wrote:

    >I meant to add this in the post. I've tried using this code, but nothing
    >happens:
    >
    ><%
    > msg = "Just a Test Message"
    > Response.Write("<" & "script language=VBScript>")
    > Response.Write("MsgBox """ & msg & """<" & "/script>")
    >%

    <%msg="Just a Test Message" %>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    alert("<%=msg%>");
    </script>

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(Shell/User)

    http://members.cox.net/slatteryt
    Tim Slattery, Oct 30, 2008
  4. Marge

    Evertjan. Guest

    Marge wrote on 30 okt 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > "Marge" <> wrote in message
    >> This may be in the wrong forum, but here goes.
    >>
    >> How can I display an alert in the users browser window from an asp
    >> page.
    >>
    >> For example, a welcome message. I know I can do this with
    >> response.write, but I'd like to have a general method of displaying
    >> messages to the user.

    [Please do not toppost on usenet]

    > I meant to add this in the post. I've tried using this code, but
    > nothing happens:
    >
    > <%
    > msg = "Just a Test Message"
    > Response.Write("<" & "script language=VBScript>")
    > Response.Write("MsgBox """ & msg & """<" & "/script>")
    > %>

    Your clientside vbscript, if it works, then only on IE.

    Try:

    message = "Hello world"
    %>
    <script type='text/javascript'>
    alert('<% = message %>');
    </script>
    <%

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Oct 30, 2008
  5. Marge

    Marge Guest

    Thanks Evertjan and Tim. I got no alert nor did I get any error message.
    Here is a code fragment that I am using. Perhaps your keen eyes will see
    where this little fool is messing up:

    If UCase(strStatus) = "PENDING" Then

    strMSG = "You must complete the following form!"

    %>
    <script type='text/javascript'>
    alert('<% = strMSG %>');
    </script>
    <%

    Response.redirect ("Acct_Profileedit.asp?ACCT_NO='" & strAcctNo &"'")

    End if

    Marge, Oct 30, 2008
  6. Marge

    Evertjan. Guest

    Marge wrote on 30 okt 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    [Please Please Please Please Please do not toppost on usenet]

    > Thanks Evertjan and Tim. I got no alert nor did I get any error
    > message. Here is a code fragment that I am using. Perhaps your keen
    > eyes will see where this little fool is messing up:
    >
    > If UCase(strStatus) = "PENDING" Then
    >
    > strMSG = "You must complete the following form!"
    >
    > %>
    > <script type='text/javascript'>
    > alert('<% = strMSG %>');
    > </script>
    > <%
    >
    > Response.redirect ("Acct_Profileedit.asp?ACCT_NO='" & strAcctNo &"'")

    [no reason to put single quotes in a querystring]

    If you do a redirect, no clientside code is executed,
    as the redirect command goes to the html header.

    <%
    If UCase(strStatus) = "PENDING" Then
    strMSG = "You must complete the following form!"
    redir = "Acct_Profileedit.asp?ACCT_NO=" & strAcctNo
    %>
    <script type='text/javascript'>
    alert('<% = strMSG %>');
    location.href = '<% = redir %>';
    </script>
    <%
    response.end
    End If
    %>

    Perhaps some learing about the difference of
    serverside vs clientside execution is required?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Oct 30, 2008
  7. Marge

    Marge Guest

    Thanks Evertjan. I already tried the response.end.

    Also, I left out the asp tags (<%) to avoid confusion. All the correct tags
    are in place and my existing code works.

    I was simply trying to show where I had placed your suggested code.

    Marge, Oct 30, 2008
  8. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Marge" <> writing
    in news:#:

    > Here is a code fragment that I am using. Perhaps your keen eyes will

    see
    > where this little fool is messing up:
    >
    > If UCase(strStatus) = "PENDING" Then
    >
    > strMSG = "You must complete the following form!"
    >
    > %>
    ><script type='text/javascript'>
    > alert('<% = strMSG %>');
    ></script>
    ><%
    >
    > Response.redirect ("Acct_Profileedit.asp?ACCT_NO='" & strAcctNo &"'")
    >
    > End if

    As others have said, any client side script will not execute with a
    redirect.

    Additionally, I hope that you are keeping the values that have already
    been filled out when the user gets the form again. There is nothing
    worse than filling out a long form, omitting one thing, and the script
    comes back with all the previously filled fields blank. This is one of
    the reasons I prefer to post to the same page.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Oct 30, 2008
  9. Marge

    Evertjan. Guest

    Mark Rae [MVP] wrote on 31 okt 2008 in

    > "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    >
    >> [Please Please Please Please Please do not toppost on usenet]

    > Well said, though you are clearly wasting your time with Marge...

    TNX. ;-}

    Usuallly after this I cease responding.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Oct 31, 2008
  10. Marge

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    > Mark Rae [MVP] wrote on 31 okt 2008 in
    >
    >> "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> [Please Please Please Please Please do not toppost on usenet]

    >> Well said, though you are clearly wasting your time with Marge...

    > TNX. ;-}
    >
    > Usuallly after this I cease responding.
    >

    > --
    > Evertjan.
    > The Netherlands.

    Stop being usenet police. Of all the articles I've read on top vs bottom
    posting, yes, bottom posting is preferred. But it's user choice, and many
    many people prefer top posting. Personally I've changed from top to bottom,
    but not because of rude requests like yours. I prefer top.

    YOU get a decent news reader that supports threaded discussions! Granted,
    web based readers don't view top postings well. I know all this.

    Ok, here comes. "this isn't email..blah blah blah". Take a chill pill. But
    notice I bottom posted.
    Jeff Dillon, Nov 5, 2008
  11. Marge

    Evertjan. Guest

    Jeff Dillon wrote on 05 nov 2008 in

    > "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    >> Mark Rae [MVP] wrote on 31 okt 2008 in
    >>
    >>> "Evertjan." <> wrote in message

    >>> Well said, though you are clearly wasting your time with Marge...

    >> TNX. ;-}
    >>
    >> Usuallly after this I cease responding.

    [please do not quote signatures on usenet]

    > Stop being usenet police. Of all the articles I've read on top vs
    > bottom posting, yes, bottom posting is preferred. But it's user
    > choice, and many many people prefer top posting. Personally I've
    > changed from top to bottom, but not because of rude requests like
    > yours. I prefer top.

    So I m police if I cease responding? Nonsense!

    > YOU get a decent news reader that supports threaded discussions!
    > Granted, web based readers don't view top postings well. I know all
    > this.

    No it is logical Netiquesste, because not all news servers aquire
    postings in a reasonable time, or keep them long enough to support
    threading.

    > Ok, here comes. "this isn't email..blah blah blah".

    You seem to be stressed, don't, It is bad for your health, smile Jeff!
    btw, do you think it is email?

    > Take a chill pill.
    > But notice I bottom posted.

    Nothing special in that.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Nov 5, 2008
  12. Marge

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    Who is stressed? Everyone, feel free to top post. It's personal choice on
    usenet. Don't be bullied, ignore everdumb! And PLEASE, no personal attacks,
    this goes for you too, overtlyjammed

    Jeff Dillon, Nov 5, 2008
  13. Marge

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    No, but I don't read every page over again when I go to the next page. I've
    already read the previous pages. Hey, it's a personal choice. That is my
    point. Let people post the way they feel comfortable. Don't enforce your
    choice on other people.

    Jeff Dillon, Nov 6, 2008
  14. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jeff Dillon"
    <> writing in

    Yes, I am top posting, but this is because this is a classic example of
    why one should not top post. This message does not make any sense with
    the last post on top, you see?

    Evertjan did not make any person attacks, he merely _requested_ that
    Marge not top post.

    Adrienne Boswell, Nov 6, 2008
  15. Marge

    marge Guest

    I'm sorry, but I don't know why everyone is yelling at me about Top
    Posting??? Now that I'm out of the hospital I started to catch up and
    blam...

    First, I don't know what that is, second I only post here. So if I have a
    setting that is incorrect or something out of place, please let me know.

    I certainly do not want to disrespect this NG or any other.

    If someone could provide me with more info I would appreciate it.

    marge, Nov 8, 2008
  16. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "marge" <> writing
    in news::

    > I'm sorry, but I don't know why everyone is yelling at me about Top
    > Posting???

    You might want to look at http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html.
    Basically, top posting makes it hard for others to read messages,
    because the order has been mixed up.

    1. How many should we buy?
    2. Seventeen
    3. Longs or shorts?

    as opposed to

    3. Longs or shorts?
    1. How many should we buy?
    2. Seventeen

    > Now that I'm out of the hospital I started to catch up and
    > blam...

    Hope you are feeling better.

    Adrienne Boswell, Nov 9, 2008
  17. Marge

    marge Guest

    Thank you, now I understand. If correct, it means I should reply to the post
    that I am directly reading as opposed to the one(s) above?

    I will try to make sure I don't do that again!!!

    Yes, am much better - lots more to go, but better. Thanks for the kind
    comment and the info.

    M.

    marge, Nov 9, 2008
  18. Marge

    marge Guest

    Re: Display alert or messages to the user. Nothing Better to DO???

    I've re-read every post here and I have to say, some of you people are
    complete and utter jerks.

    To think that one would do this "TOP POSTING" on purpose (yes a few have to
    make a point), is utter stupidity and in my opinion is a complete waste of
    time to natter about. Not to mention waste of bandwidth and disk space. GROW
    UP LITTLE KIDS!!!

    Get a life and forgive people that make a mistake once in a while!

    If you all think you are better than anyone else, then good luck to you and
    your miserable life!!! JERKS!!!!

    This is supposed to be an NG for help, not RIDICULE!!!

    I'm Ok with this, cause it was just a mistake, not a life threatening
    issue!!!

    marge, Nov 9, 2008
  19. Marge

    Evertjan. Guest

    marge wrote on 09 nov 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    > I've re-read every post here and I have to say, some of you people are
    > complete and utter jerks.

    With scarce interposting, that would not have been necessary, you
    probably would not have lost track of the conversation.

    > To think that one would do this "TOP POSTING" on purpose (yes a few
    > have to make a point), is utter stupidity and in my opinion is a
    > complete waste of time

    Whose time is wasted?
    Feel free not to read postings in a NG, so no time is "wasted".
    feel free not to respond if it wastes your time.

    > to natter about. Not to mention waste of
    > bandwidth and disk space. GROW UP LITTLE KIDS!!!
    >
    > Get a life and forgive people that make a mistake once in a while!

    Who is talking about mistakes?
    Politely asking for not topposting is NOT pointing to mistakes, but is
    simply trying to point to a good usenet habit, following the longtime
    experience of usenet called netiquette.

    Scarce interposting spares bandwith. Topposting wastes bandwith, as it
    usually repeats the whole thread is an unlogivcal way, while scarce
    interposting only repeats the parts one is reacting on.
    Bottomposting is nearly or just as bad as topposting.

    > If you all think you are better than anyone else, then good luck to
    > you and your miserable life!!! JERKS!!!!

    Politeness never hurts, or does it?

    > This is supposed to be an NG for help, not RIDICULE!!!

    I don't know why you would suppose the first.
    This is a NG for discussing on-topic subjects.
    [Classic ASP and NG-netiquette being on-topic]

    This NG is NOT a helpdesk.

    That people are often helped by discussing
    seems a logical consequence of discussions.

    On a helpdesk you can specify the range of the answers to a Q[uestion].
    In a NG you do not have to post only Qs, and if you post a Q,
    you cannot limit the answers or reply postings.

    > I'm Ok with this, cause it was just a mistake, not a life threatening
    > issue!!!

    What was a mistake? With scarce interposting I would know what part of
    the thread you thought to be your or someone elses mistake.

    Perhaps you were mistaken?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Nov 9, 2008
  20. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "marge" <> writing
    in news::

    Marge, you're not getting it. You are still top posting, and messages
    do not make sense. Read this entire message from top to bottom and you
    will see what I am talking about. Top posting means placing your reply
    to the post on the _TOP_ of the message. The preferred method is
    posting your reply on the _bottom_ of the message, as most people read
    from top to bottom, not bottom to top. This is especially true if the
    message has many replies on the bottom, and one message on the top. The
    whole order of the message gets mucked up. Got it?

    Adrienne Boswell, Nov 9, 2008