Display animation during page-load

Mantorok

Hi

ASP.Net v2.0

I have a page and, depending on circumstances, it can sometimes take between
10-30 seconds to load, this is due to a dependency on a 3rd party
web-service that is very slow..

Is there anyway of informing the user that the server hasn't died and that
the page is busy fetching results?

Thanks
Kev

Mike Gleason jr Couturier

Mantorok said:
Hi

ASP.Net v2.0

I have a page and, depending on circumstances, it can sometimes take
between 10-30 seconds to load, this is due to a dependency on a 3rd party
web-service that is very slow..

Is there anyway of informing the user that the server hasn't died and that
the page is busy fetching results?

Thanks
Kev

1) You put your code to fetch your data in another page (ie data.aspx)
2) You bring up your loading page that in turn call your data.aspx with AJAX

I know the place I work at are doing things like that...

(Sorry for my english btw!)

Mike

Teresa Church

Using ASP.NET AJAX and an UpdatePanel, you can set the UpdateIndicator
to an animated GIF.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Kev,

I agree with others that you can consider return your long-run page
immediately(let the service executing at server-side) and at client-side,
you can display some message indicate that the server task is running and
use some client-side script to postback and poll the server-side service
execution status. For the script , you can either use ASP.NET 2.0's script
callback feature or use the new AJAX framework(you need to install the ajax
runtime components).

#Implementing Client Callbacks Without Postbacks in ASP.NET Web Pages

#ASP.NET AJAX
http://ajax.asp.net/

In addition, you can also found some former threads dicussing on this
topics in the newsgroup:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/brow
se_thread/thread/719a56977f0fea5/bcf7bd5271c85ddb

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buil
dingcontrols/browse_thread/thread/20beec83bdb3de20/cb633eaf816a4a2b

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead