    the page is busy fetching results?

    Thanks
    Kev

    Mantorok, Jun 19, 2007

  2. "Mantorok" <> wrote in message
    news:f58fe2$cu4$...
    > Hi
    >
    > ASP.Net v2.0
    >
    > I have a page and, depending on circumstances, it can sometimes take
    > between 10-30 seconds to load, this is due to a dependency on a 3rd party
    > web-service that is very slow..
    >
    > Is there anyway of informing the user that the server hasn't died and that
    > the page is busy fetching results?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Kev

    1) You put your code to fetch your data in another page (ie data.aspx)
    2) You bring up your loading page that in turn call your data.aspx with AJAX

    I know the place I work at are doing things like that...

    (Sorry for my english btw!)

    Mike

    Mike Gleason jr Couturier, Jun 19, 2007

  3. Using ASP.NET AJAX and an UpdatePanel, you can set the UpdateIndicator
    to an animated GIF.

    Teresa Church, Jun 19, 2007
  4. Hi Kev,

    I agree with others that you can consider return your long-run page
    immediately(let the service executing at server-side) and at client-side,
    you can display some message indicate that the server task is running and
    use some client-side script to postback and poll the server-side service
    execution status. For the script , you can either use ASP.NET 2.0's script
    callback feature or use the new AJAX framework(you need to install the ajax
    runtime components).

    #Implementing Client Callbacks Without Postbacks in ASP.NET Web Pages

    #ASP.NET AJAX
    http://ajax.asp.net/

    In addition, you can also found some former threads dicussing on this
    topics in the newsgroup:

    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/brow
    se_thread/thread/719a56977f0fea5/bcf7bd5271c85ddb

    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buil
    dingcontrols/browse_thread/thread/20beec83bdb3de20/cb633eaf816a4a2b

    Hope this helps.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead