display content of html-file in table-column ???

Chris

Hi,

I have a table with 2 columns : first column has an anchor (with the href
set to test.html), second column should display the content of test.html
when clicked on the anchor.

<xmp>
TEST.HTML
</xmp>But how ?Thanks for any suggestion.Chris

SpaceGirl

Chris said:
Hi,

I have a table with 2 columns : first column has an anchor (with the href
set to test.html), second column should display the content of test.html
when clicked on the anchor.

<xmp>
TEST.HTML
</xmp>But how ?Thanks for any suggestion.Chris

<!--#include file="mycontentfromanotherfile.htm" -->

....or...

<iframe src="mycontentfromanotherfile.htm" width="500" hieght="500"
scrolling="auto"></iframe>

Chris

Hi,

thanks for your suggestion ... but I don't want to display
'mycontentfromanotherfile.htm', I want to display the content of file
'test.html in the other column but ONLY when I click on the anchor.

any ideas ?

thanks
Chris

Steve Pugh

Chris said:
thanks for your suggestion ... but I don't want to display
'mycontentfromanotherfile.htm', I want to display the content of file
'test.html in the other column but ONLY when I click on the anchor.

any ideas ?

First idea would be to stop top posting.

Then, either use an iframe with all the problems that leads to. Or
simply link to a new page which is identical except for the contents
of that one cell.

Steve

SpaceGirl

thanks for your suggestion ... but I don't want to display
Then, either use an iframe with all the problems that leads to. Or
simply link to a new page which is identical except for the contents
of that one cell.

Steve

I agree with Steve... only way really to do it, unfortunately.

Neal

First idea would be to stop top posting.

Then, either use an iframe with all the problems that leads to. Or
simply link to a new page which is identical except for the contents
of that one cell.

Using SSI or PHP this could be made simpler. Creating pages with the
identical material included server-side is really the best solution.

Jeff Thies

I think you forgot to add alt.kitchensink to your long list of crossposts.
That many crossposts makesd you *less* likely to get responses.
Hi,

thanks for your suggestion ... but I don't want to display
'mycontentfromanotherfile.htm', I want to display the content of file
'test.html in the other column but ONLY when I click on the anchor.

Use an IFRAME and do something like this:

document.getElementById('i_frame_id').src='some_file.html'">...

Usual caveats apply. Not Tested.

Jeff

Jeff Thies

thanks for your suggestion ... but I don't want to display
Use an IFRAME and do something like this:

document.getElementById('i_frame_id').src='some_file.html'">...

Should be more like this:

! document.getElementById('i_frame_id').src='some_file.html'">...

You only want to follow the link if the onclick fails.

Season to taste.

Jeff

Leif K-Brooks

Jeff said:
Use an IFRAME and do something like this:

document.getElementById('i_frame_id').src='some_file.html'">...

What's wrong with the target attribute?

Neal

What's wrong with the target attribute?

In general, can't use it in strict 4.01 or strict XHTML...

Still, the opening of new pages is the domain of the user, not the author.
Best avoided at any cost.