Display html on another computer instead of local computer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Lionel Neo, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. Lionel Neo

    Lionel Neo Guest

    I have a datagrid that whenever a user click the link button,the system
    will go to the database retrieve the url path and display the particular
    HTML page on another computer instead of local computer itself.So how am
    i going to implement that in Vb.net.This is my sample code of displaying
    on local machine.My problem is i need to display on another computer
    instead of local computer.i have no ideal how to do it.Anyone can help
    me.Thank in advance

    Dim strPath As String
    Dim i As Integer

    Select Case e.CommandName
    Case "ViewHTML"
    i = e.Item.ItemIndex
    Dim DownDs As New DataSet
    DownDs = Session("dsPresentation")
    If Not DownDs Is Nothing Then
    strPath = DownDs.Tables(0).Rows(i)("FOLE_PATH")
    strPath = strPath.Replace("\", "/")
    'IP Address is 172.20.129.7
    'Response.RedirectLocation("")
    Me.RegisterStartupScript("Page", "<Script
    Language=javascript>window.open('" & strPath & "','show')</script>")
    End If
    End Select

    Lionel Neo, Oct 11, 2004

  2. Interesting behavior. Internet applications cannot directly do something to
    clients unless the clients send a request to do something to the server. So
    the second part of your process is not supported by asp.net in any way. At
    least not directly. How would you know that client computer has a running
    session of IE? How would you know which client to change view while asp.net
    apps are widely available to many clients?

    The simplest way you could do is that the client page that should have this
    kind of a behavior (changes upon other user actions) should expire in some
    short amount of time and in that way it would request itself again from the
    server. If something else has happened between requests (in your example
    another user did something in some datagrid) and that action/info is shared
    with other users it should apropriately adjust display of the requested page
    or redirect to another one.

    But this aproach may not be suitable for your needs. If not, you should
    probably make a Win app instead of web app. If updating is a problem you
    could use Updater Application Block so user apps would update themselves on
    the fly.

    This is the most simple way. Maybe someone else will give another possible
    solution which could be more complicated.

    --
    RobertK
    { Clever? No just smart. }

    Robert Koritnik, Oct 11, 2004