Display problems with Internet Explorer & new site design

Discussion in 'HTML' started by =?UTF-8?B?UmVuw6kgS2FiaXM=?=, Dec 31, 2005.

  1. Greetings!

    I am testing out a new site design here:

    http://rene.kabis.org/temp/index.html

    Please forgive the strange characters that might pop up, I haven’t
    converted the file to UTF-8 yet, but I’m using UTF-8 characters...

    Anyhow, I am using the IE7 Standards Compliance patch to force IE to
    conform to web standards. Early in the design, things were going nearly
    perfect, with the background attaching nicely to the screen and not
    scrolling.

    However, something changed recently, and I haven’t been able to track it
    down. I was hoping that someone could take a look at my source and
    figure out why the background(s) aren’t attaching to the screen anymore.
    That is, they used to be locked in position, not moving when I scrolled,
    but this isn’t happening anymore. In fact, I can’t lock them into the
    correct places anymore (bottom left, fixed) at all.

    It looks beautiful in Firefox and Opera, but it’s crap in IE due to IE’s
    appalling lack of standards support. Even IE7 isn’t helping anymore,
    probably due to something I did.

    Suggestions?

    Thanks.
    René Kabis
    =?UTF-8?B?UmVuw6kgS2FiaXM=?=, Dec 31, 2005

  2. René Kabis wrote:

    > Greetings!
    >
    > I am testing out a new site design here:
    >
    > http://rene.kabis.org/temp/index.html
    > It looks beautiful in Firefox and Opera, but itÿs crap in IE due

    Before you try to figure out IE, you need to solve the image problem. I
    went to your link, immediately saw a blue background with white lorem
    ipsum text. About a minute later, images started to appear, one at a
    time for the next minute. And I'm on a fast 7Mbps cable connection.

    796,775 bytes back-trans.png
    227,343 bytes title-trans.png
    394,189 bytes screen-trans.png

    Waaay too large for a web page.

    For some reason I don't have time to investigate, it's also not caching
    the images, so I guess we would have to download the meg-and-a-half
    every time we went to a different page at the site?

    Why are you using XHTML 1.1? You should use HTML 4.01 Strict. The XHTML
    could very well be your IE problem.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 31, 2005

  3. =?UTF-8?B?UmVuw6kgS2FiaXM=?=

    Jim Moe Guest

    René Kabis wrote:

    > However, something changed recently, and I haven’t been able to track it
    > down. I was hoping that someone could take a look at my source and
    > figure out why the background(s) aren’t attaching to the screen anymore.
    > That is, they used to be locked in position, not moving when I scrolled,
    > but this isn’t happening anymore. In fact, I can’t lock them into the
    > correct places anymore (bottom left, fixed) at all.

    IIRC, it requires javascript to fix a block into position. Is that what
    "ie7-standard-p.js" does?

    > It looks beautiful in Firefox and Opera, but it’s crap in IE due to IE’s
    > appalling lack of standards support. Even IE7 isn’t helping anymore,
    > probably due to something I did.

    Except for the position:fixed and png problems, it looks the same in IE6
    as Mozilla.
    It would load a *lot* faster if those images where about 1/10 their
    current size. Such extreme resolution is unnecessary.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
    Jim Moe, Dec 31, 2005
  4. =?UTF-8?B?UmVuw6kgS2FiaXM=?=

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    René Kabis wrote:

    > Greetings!
    >
    > I am testing out a new site design here:
    >
    > http://rene.kabis.org/temp/index.html
    >
    > Please forgive the strange characters that might pop up, I haven't
    > converted the file to UTF-8 yet, but I'm using UTF-8 characters...
    >
    > Anyhow, I am using the IE7 Standards Compliance patch to force IE to
    > conform to web standards. Early in the design, things were going nearly
    > perfect, with the background attaching nicely to the screen and not
    > scrolling.
    >
    > However, something changed recently, and I haven't been able to track it
    > down. I was hoping that someone could take a look at my source and
    > figure out why the background(s) aren't attaching to the screen anymore.
    > That is, they used to be locked in position, not moving when I scrolled,
    > but this isn't happening anymore. In fact, I can't lock them into the
    > correct places anymore (bottom left, fixed) at all.
    >
    > It looks beautiful in Firefox and Opera, but it's crap in IE due to IE's
    > appalling lack of standards support. Even IE7 isn't helping anymore,
    > probably due to something I did.
    >
    > Suggestions?

    Make your PNG images smaller. I am on a 31K dial-up conection and have
    no access to a faster conection.
    Also, You should not really use fixed persitioning for anything on the
    web. It will cause your page too break under various browser settings.
    My copy of IE 6 craped it self when I visited your page and it looks
    the same in both IE and FireFox.

    Chaddy2222, Jan 1, 2006
  5. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Ren� Kabis wrote:
    >>Greetings!
    >>
    >>I am testing out a new site design here:
    >>
    >>http://rene.kabis.org/temp/index.html
    >>It looks beautiful in Firefox and Opera, but it�s crap in IE due

    > Before you try to figure out IE, you need to solve the image problem. I
    > went to your link, immediately saw a blue background with white lorem
    > ipsum text. About a minute later, images started to appear, one at a
    > time for the next minute. And I'm on a fast 7Mbps cable connection.
    >
    > 796,775 bytes back-trans.png
    > 227,343 bytes title-trans.png
    > 394,189 bytes screen-trans.png
    >
    > Waaay too large for a web page.
    >
    > For some reason I don't have time to investigate, it's also not caching
    > the images, so I guess we would have to download the meg-and-a-half
    > every time we went to a different page at the site?
    >
    > Why are you using XHTML 1.1? You should use HTML 4.01 Strict. The XHTML
    > could very well be your IE problem.

    First of all, discussion about the images are off-topic; as those images
    are hardly in a final form. I *know* I have to compress them, I was just
    hoping for some help with why the layout suddenly doesn’t work. It did
    before, I implemented a raft of changes, and suddenly it doesn’t.Even
    backtracking and reverse-engineering doesn’t get me back to a
    functioning layout.

    And I tried switching doctypes; no effect. :-(

    ~René
    =?UTF-8?B?UmVuw6kgS2FiaXM=?=, Jan 3, 2006
  6. René Kabis wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Ren� Kabis wrote:
    >>>Greetings!
    >>>
    >>>I am testing out a new site design here:
    >>>
    >>>http://rene.kabis.org/temp/index.html
    >>>It looks beautiful in Firefox and Opera, but it�s crap in IE due

    >> Before you try to figure out IE, you need to solve the image problem. I
    >> went to your link, immediately saw a blue background with white lorem
    >> ipsum text. About a minute later, images started to appear, one at a
    >> time for the next minute. And I'm on a fast 7Mbps cable connection.
    >>
    >> 796,775 bytes back-trans.png
    >> 227,343 bytes title-trans.png
    >> 394,189 bytes screen-trans.png
    >>
    >> Waaay too large for a web page.
    >>
    >> For some reason I don't have time to investigate, it's also not caching
    >> the images, so I guess we would have to download the meg-and-a-half
    >> every time we went to a different page at the site?
    >>
    >> Why are you using XHTML 1.1? You should use HTML 4.01 Strict. The XHTML
    >> could very well be your IE problem.
    >>

    > First of all, discussion about the images are off-topic;

    No, they are not; they are part of the page, and may even contribute to
    the problem.

    > as those images
    > are hardly in a final form. I *know* I have to compress them,

    You might get some people to visit the page if they didn't have to wait
    ~five minutes for it to load. I can't imagine how long it takes for a
    dialup user.

    > I was just hoping for some help with why the layout suddenly doesn’t
    > work. It did before, I implemented a raft of changes, and suddenly it
    > doesn’t.

    Perhaps implementing changes one at a time is a better way to go?

    Why do you have a #body div?

    With a maximized browser on an 1152x864 display, all your nav and
    content is squished to the right. I'm sure you don't want that to
    happen. (Firefox)

    > Even backtracking and reverse-engineering doesn’t get me back to a
    > functioning layout.
    >
    > And I tried switching doctypes; no effect. :-(

    Put up a version of the page with HTML 4.01 Strict and let us see what
    happens.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 3, 2006
  7. =?UTF-8?B?UmVuw6kgS2FiaXM=?=

    Nije Nego Guest

    : René Kabis wrote:
    :
    : > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    : >> Ren? Kabis wrote:
    : >>>Greetings!
    : >>>
    : >>>I am testing out a new site design here:
    : >>>
    : >>>http://rene.kabis.org/temp/index.html
    : >>>...
    : >>>It looks beautiful in Firefox and Opera, but it?s crap in IE due
    : >>
[...]
    : >
[...]
    : --
    : -bts
    : -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    If you really want somebody to help you than you should help them as well.
    As Beauregard wrote, you put up more than 1MB of images on your site and you
    asked to point out the differences between IE and FF. That's almost 3MB of
    download in order to get a preview of your problem.
    Also you should state the problem more clearly, "layout doesn't work" is not
    a good description.

    Well, I have some spare time and I looked into both of your layouts, and
    thought your problem could be "fixed" background, not fixed in IE?

    Remove your div#body tag, and change body background attachment to
    background-position: left top;. If you need to keep up the settings from
    #body tag, just copy them into body tag.

    Also, IE does not handle transparent png, consider .jpg, gif or adjust image
    background to your needs.

    If you had some other problem, please shrink your images and state the
    situation more clearly.

    Regards,

    --
    <my personal cage />
    http://bruno-s.net
    Nije Nego, Jan 3, 2006
  8. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > René Kabis wrote:

    <snip>
    >>First of all, discussion about the images are off-topic;

    > No, they are not; they are part of the page, and may even contribute to
    > the problem.
    >

    >>as those images
    >>are hardly in a final form. I *know* I have to compress them,

    > You might get some people to visit the page if they didn't have to wait
    > ~five minutes for it to load. I can't imagine how long it takes for a
    > dialup user.

    Simple, they don't! I get the page no pics! Ctrl-I (Mozilla) Page Info I
    was able to download images took about 8 minutes! I'd say it is a issue.

    I run 1280 x 960 on a 19 monitor, your large fixed div floated right
    when put on a more realistic window size for folks with 15 flat panels
    and laptops (significant sample of web browsers) your nav menu is pushed
    off screen with no horizontal scroll! That is no ambiguous, that is a
    fundamental design error that you need to address.

    Oh! Your images finally appeared! Wrong format, try JPG for background
    and optimize it with little effort can be a fraction of the size

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO