Display Umlaut in meta tag

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Steven, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. Steven

    Steven Guest

    Hi,

    I'm attempting to display an umlaut in a meta tag like:

    <META name="content" Content="hällo">

    But all I get when the page is displayed in the browser is:

    <META name="content" Content="h?llo">

    Is there somekind of escape character I can use to get the umlaut to appear
    correctly? I tried using &auml; ,for example, but this does not work.

    Thanks in advance,
    Steve.

    Holidays in Berchtesgaden, Germany:
    http://www.sonnenkoepfl.de
    http://unterkunft-berchtesgaden.de
    http://pension-berchtesgaden.de

    Steven, Aug 14, 2003

  2. Steven wrote:
    > I'm attempting to display an umlaut in a meta tag like:
    >
    > <META name="content" Content="hällo">
    >
    > But all I get when the page is displayed in the browser is:
    >
    > <META name="content" Content="h?llo">

    What browser? META tags aren't usually displayed by browsers (they're
    meta-information, not part of the regular page content), except in
    special contexts like "View Source" or "View Page Info", etc.

    > Is there somekind of escape character I can use to get the umlaut to appear
    > correctly? I tried using &auml; ,for example, but this does not work.

    What "charset" parameter is your server sending with the page, to
    indicate what character encoding is in use? The raw 8-bit character
    won't necessarily display correctly if the charset parameter is missing
    or incorrect. The entity reference (&auml;) or a numeric &#___;
    reference ought to work at any rate, but some browsers have bugs. Is
    this in Netscape 4 or some other such archaic browser?

    --
    == Dan ==

    Daniel R. Tobias, Aug 14, 2003