Displaying additional fields on edit in datagrid

Ryan Anderson

I built a sweet data grid to display contacts, custom paging, bidirectional
sorting,
adjustable row display count, in-place editting, all the stops.
I turned out pretty cool.
I followed tutorials from www.4guysfromrolla.com

Problem: I am currently displaying 5 data columns (also a '+' tree view
image which I intend to use in an event, a check box column and an 'edit'
column so 8 in total)

When a user goes to edit a record, I want to display an additional 15 fields
which they can also edit, while remaining in the grid.
I do not want to increase the width of the datagrid on this event. I would
like the grid to expand vertically by adding additional rows for that
specific
record the user clicks to edit to accommodate the additional data that can
be editted.
I also want to build the option to just display the extra data when clicking
on the
+ image I have for each record in the datagrid, like a tree view type
scenario.

Kind of the analogy, give someone a piece of fruit and they ask for the
whole tree,
but I am sure it can be done somehow,
I just lack the skill and vision to execute it without some guidance at this
point...

Does anyone have an example of how this can be accomplished or some guidance
on how to accomplish this task?

Much thanks and appreciation in advanced!
Ryan

Ron McNulty

Hi Ryan

I handle this by using a datalist containing a single record. It can't be
displayed inside the grid, but sits to the right of the grid. It edits all
fields, including the ones in the grid. As it is a DataList, you can make it
look however you like. In particular, spacing can be used to separate groups
of related fields.

Regards

Ron