Displaying/Changing Pictures

Mike Copeland

I am creating a Web site for a local organization, and one of the
requirements is to (randomly) display a series of pictures of important
buildings and features of the area on the main page.
I assume I should to this sort of processing with JavaScript, but I
don't know if that's the easiest or best method. If it is, I don't have
any idea _how_ I should approach this task. Any thoughts? TIA

David Mark

   I am creating a Web site for a local organization, and one of the
requirements is to (randomly) display a series of pictures of important
buildings and features of the area on the main page.

As in a slide show?
   I assume I should to this sort of processing with JavaScript, but I
don't know if that's the easiest or best method.  If it is, I don't have
any idea _how_ I should approach this task.  Any thoughts?  TIA

If you have no idea how, you need to find someone who does. If not, I
recommend you interpret a series to mean one or more adjacent images.

If you are very lucky, somebody here might write it for you. Keep in
mind that they may not be around when and if it needs maintenance.

Evertjan.

Mike Copeland wrote on 09 jul 2009 in comp.lang.javascript:
I am creating a Web site for a local organization, and one of the
requirements is to (randomly) display a series of pictures of important
buildings and features of the area on the main page.
I assume I should to this sort of processing with JavaScript, but I
don't know if that's the easiest or best method.

This can best [subjective best!] be done by serverside programming in any
of the serverside languages available on your server.

Serverside Javascript could be one of those if the server is ASP enabled.
If it is, I don't have
any idea _how_ I should approach this task. Any thoughts?

Yes, learn Javascript, like we all did.

If you don't want to do that, better take on a paid professional,
who can cope with the "requirements" of youer organisation.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <[email protected]
, Thu, 9 Jul 2009 12:30:53, Mike Copeland <[email protected]> posted:
I am creating a Web site for a local organization, and one of the
requirements is to (randomly) display a series of pictures of important
buildings and features of the area on the main page.
I assume I should to this sort of processing with JavaScript, but I
don't know if that's the easiest or best method. If it is, I don't have
any idea _how_ I should approach this task. Any thoughts? TIA

In that case, you should read the newsgroup FAQ on Random.

<http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html> and
<http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> are down at present; $clj-faq.htm on my
site is a recent copy.

It's not clear whether the pictures are to be all displayed at once, a
series of smallish images on the page, or are to be displayed one at a
time, like a slide show. A Web search JavaScript "random slide show"
might help; it soon enough finds "Indefinite Random Slide Show" in
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-randm.htm> which also has "Groups
of Random Images".

Mike Copeland

I am creating a Web site for a local organization, and one of the
In that case, you should read the newsgroup FAQ on Random.

<http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html> and
<http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> are down at present; $clj-faq.htm on my
site is a recent copy.

It's not clear whether the pictures are to be all displayed at once, a
series of smallish images on the page, or are to be displayed one at a
time, like a slide show. A Web search JavaScript "random slide show"
might help; it soon enough finds "Indefinite Random Slide Show" in
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-randm.htm> which also has "Groups
of Random Images".

Sorry, John, I didn't make that clear. The goal here is to have
_one_ picture show at a time, in a fixed location of the page. Yes, I'd
like it to be a randomly selected picture, and ultimately it would be
nice to have a different picture show up in, say, 10 seconds if the user
stayed on that page for a long time (slow readers, etc.).
It's really only (what we call here) "eye candy" for new visitors to
our site, and we expect the menu links to be used when users figure out
what the site is all about.
Thanks for your thoughts - will the FAQ show me something about using
Random in the way I'm requesting? 8<}}

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message said:
Sorry, John, I didn't make that clear. The goal here is to have
_one_ picture show at a time, in a fixed location of the page. Yes, I'd
like it to be a randomly selected picture, and ultimately it would be
nice to have a different picture show up in, say, 10 seconds if the user
stayed on that page for a long time (slow readers, etc.).
It's really only (what we call here) "eye candy" for new visitors to
our site, and we expect the menu links to be used when users figure out
what the site is all about.
Thanks for your thoughts - will the FAQ show me something about using
Random in the way I'm requesting? 8<}}

Well, the general idea was that you should read the FAQ, at one of the
three locations indicated, as well as the other link given.

Peter Michaux

   I am creating a Web site for a local organization, and one of the
requirements is to (randomly) display a series of pictures of important
buildings and features of the area on the main page.
   I assume I should to this sort of processing with JavaScript, but I
don't know if that's the easiest or best method.  If it is, I don't have
any idea _how_ I should approach this task.  Any thoughts?  TIA

I don't think anyone here will write up a solution for you. That is
what you're being paid to do. ;-)

You'll probably need to call the following functions in JavaScript.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/window.setInterval

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/document.getElementById

If you try some experiments and post a 30 line or less example of what
you tried you are likely to get more feedback here.

Peter

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <922525c8-d0f6-4719-b48c-1dd2b761e211@d4
g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, Sat, 11 Jul 2009 19:45:18, Peter Michaux
I don't think anyone here will write up a solution for you. That is
what you're being paid to do. ;-)

That's a fairly unreasonable thing top say; I did the essentials of what
he needs some while ago, and it is on my Web site. Granted, my pictures
are of low entertainment value, being Windows Paint digits; but images
they are, technically. The OP needs only to take a copy of the page and
any include files, remove what is not needed, and use his own images.