Displaying Japanese, Chinese, etc. in standard MFC controls

Jim E.

Using VC++ on an application for English Win 95/98 thru XP, how can I
display multi-byte characters (Asian languages or roman characters with
accent marks) in standard MFC controls like CEdit, RichEdit, ListCtrl's,
etc?

I know how to print Japanese/Chinese characters in CDCs using the correct
code page and MultiByteToWideChar, but I cannot get even pinyin accent marks
or any Asian characters to display in MFC controls.

Do you have to #define _UNICODE?? (I got this to work, however....)

If so, will the program work in Win 95/98 (my first try at a simple UNICODE
enabled program did not run in Win98)?

It took 2 months to figure out how to print a Japanese character.. I hope
this is easier.

Ron Natalie

Jim E. said:
Using VC++ on an application for English Win 95/98 thru XP, how can I
display multi-byte characters (Asian languages or roman characters with
accent marks) in standard MFC controls like CEdit, RichEdit, ListCtrl's,
etc?

You need to ask this in a Microsoft group. I suggest
microsoft.public.vc.mfc

The answer is that it's rougher if you want to support the DOS based versions
of Windows (98/Me) versus the NT based ones (XP). But the easiest way
is to use the Unicode features. There's also tons of information in the MSDN
library (you can find this on Microsoft's web site as well as on the CD's you
got with Visual Studio).