Distributing Python Applications

Finger.Octopus

Hello,

It has been such a painful thing for me. As I made a program to
encrypt files, now I want to distribute that program over other
computers. I created .EXE file with py2exe but the "dist" folder makes
around 2 mb and it restricts for the python DLL to be within the same
folder. Is there any easy way to get this thing done in just one exe
file? I mean if I do interfacing with C/C++ will it work for me and if
I do interfacing with C/C++ will it be necessary on the other computer
to have python installed on it?

Thanks in advance...

James Stroud

Hello,

It has been such a painful thing for me. As I made a program to
encrypt files, now I want to distribute that program over other
computers. I created .EXE file with py2exe but the "dist" folder makes
around 2 mb and it restricts for the python DLL to be within the same
folder. Is there any easy way to get this thing done in just one exe
file? I mean if I do interfacing with C/C++ will it work for me and if
I do interfacing with C/C++ will it be necessary on the other computer
to have python installed on it?

Thanks in advance...

No need for python to be installed. Don't worry about 2 MB downloads.
Probably, if users are savvy enough to need encryption, they have the
download speeds and hard drive space to handle 2 MB. Check out
pyinstaller also, but what your really need is Innosetup. Its beautiful.

James

Gabriel Genellina

It has been such a painful thing for me.

Ouch... why was that? Programming in Python, or using py2exe?
As I made a program to
encrypt files, now I want to distribute that program over other
computers. I created .EXE file with py2exe but the "dist" folder makes
around 2 mb and it restricts for the python DLL to be within the same
folder. Is there any easy way to get this thing done in just one exe
file?

Perhaps... but what would you gain? Most programs include, apart from the
main executable: manual, license, readme file, release notes, installation
guide, other resources, etc.
You can use an installer like Inno Setup to package nicely all required
pieces into a single distributable file. For simple programs, even a
self-extracting .zip would suffice.
I mean if I do interfacing with C/C++ will it work for me and if
I do interfacing with C/C++ will it be necessary on the other computer
to have python installed on it?

I don't understand what are you asking... You can extend and/or embed
Python using C. And you already know py2exe, obviously: the idea is to
*not* require a previous Python install in order to run your application.