Distutils help for sub-packages

Discussion in 'Python' started by Rick Muller, Dec 3, 2007.

  1. Rick Muller

    Rick Muller Guest

    I need some distutils help. I currently run a python library
    (PyQuante) that, until recently, had all of its modules in a single
    directory, called "PyQuante". The setup command in my setup.py module
    had a single "packages" line:

    packages = ['PyQuante'],

    I moved some of the routines into Basis and IO subdirectories of
    PyQuante, and amended the packages line to be:

    packages = ['PyQuante','PyQuante.Basis','PyQuante.IO'],

    Everything works find if I'm installing from SVN. However, when I
    build a tarball via setup.py sdist, the Basis and IO subdirectories
    are not included. How can I get the distutils to include this?

    Thanks in advance,

    Rick

    Rick Muller, Dec 3, 2007

  2. Rick Muller

    Guest

    On Dec 3, 9:44 am, Rick Muller <> wrote:
    > I need some distutils help. I currently run a python library
    > (PyQuante) that, until recently, had all of its modules in a single
    > directory, called "PyQuante". The setup command in my setup.py module
    > had a single "packages" line:
    >
    > packages = ['PyQuante'],
    >
    > I moved some of the routines into Basis and IO subdirectories of
    > PyQuante, and amended the packages line to be:
    >
    > packages = ['PyQuante','PyQuante.Basis','PyQuante.IO'],
    >
    > Everything works find if I'm installing from SVN. However, when I
    > build a tarball via setup.py sdist, the Basis and IO subdirectories
    > are not included. How can I get the distutils to include this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Rick

    I recommend asking the distutils guys at their list:

    Mike

    , Dec 5, 2007

  3. Rick Muller

    Rick Muller Guest

    On Dec 5, 7:20 am, wrote:

    > I recommend asking the distutils guys at their list:

    > Mike

    I did, and no one replied there either. Probably because everyone,
    there and here, were too polite to say that I was nutso. Which, it
    turns out, I was. After not hearing from two normally helpful forums
    (fora?) I went back a little more carefully and found the bug. Sorry
    for the false alarm.

    Rick Muller, Dec 6, 2007
  4. Rick Muller

    Guest

    On Dec 6, 2:37 pm, Rick Muller <> wrote:
    > On Dec 5, 7:20 am, wrote:
    >

    > > I recommend asking the distutils guys at their list:

    > > Mike

    > I did, and no one replied there either. Probably because everyone,
    > there and here, were too polite to say that I was nutso. Which, it
    > turns out, I was. After not hearing from two normally helpful forums
    > (fora?) I went back a little more carefully and found the bug. Sorry
    > for the false alarm.

    Sorry to hear that...they are both pretty helpful in most cases.
    C.l.py doesn't usually mind telling OP's that they're nutso either. I
    personally didn't think you were, but I didn't know how to answer your
    question either.

    Mike

    , Dec 6, 2007