divs are different in different browsers

Miro

I just ran accross something strange.

I tried to used "Div Tags" instead of tables.
So it looks something liket his:

It looks great in Internet Explorer,
but firefox and chrome destroy it.

Can anyone let me know on what to look for within the css or layout of the
divs to make it work proper.
Or in this case...is it just best to go back to tables within 1 div tag.
Like this:

Here is the example aspx if viewd in IE vs ( firefox or chrome ), it looks
proper in IE.
I can post the actual css / html markup but I didn't want to complicate this
first posting.

http://www.companyorange.com/_Play/Canoeing/RequestBooking.aspx
( fyi - the submit button does nothing - as I was just working on the layout
so far ).

But I was under the impression that div tags will work 100% in all browsers
with css.

Thanks for any input.

Miro

Miro

Strange...

For me it doesnt

The div tags are all over the place for me on firefox and chrome.

I will have to temporarily make the div tags underneith eachother and come
back to it

Thanks,

Miro

Patrice

Doesn't work for me in FF3.5. Seeing the nature of the problems (I see
things I would qualify as tabular data breaking apart), keep in mind also
that tables are not to avoid at all cost. The goal is to avoid them when
doing the overally layout. Here it seems to me that using tables for some
portion would make sense as you seems to have tabular data and tables are
done for that...

Just to be on the safe side as I previously saw some who interpreted the "no
table for general layout" as "no table at all"...

Andrew Morton

Miro said:
I just ran accross something strange.

I tried to used "Div Tags" instead of tables.
So it looks something liket his:

It looks great in Internet Explorer,
but firefox and chrome destroy it.

Can anyone let me know on what to look for within the css or layout
of the divs to make it work proper.

If you validate it at http://validator.w3c.org you'll find you have a
</spans> as a typo (extra "s"):

Andrew

Miro

I too was under the impression that if a div can do it, use it. Otherwise a
table.

So in this case that is why I used divs' vs a div with a table inside.

I think I will go back on what you said.
I will use the tables within the divs and make my life simpler.

You mentioned it "Doesnt work for me in FF3.5"
Does that mean you got teh same results I did ( it is all messed up) ...or
you got the same as germ. -it looked ok?
-Just wondering

I am assuming that Germ's "worked" and mine and yours "did not". I wonder
what version Germ was using.

Thanks

Miro

germ

ok - this actually doesn't work in IE8 either.
It does look the same in IE8 ( in standards node ) and FF that is why I
didn't see any difference.
Viewed in compatibiltiy mode or in an earlier version of IE then the
problems show up ( or rather go away ).
So the problem is that the page is setup to work in older browsers but not
in current browsers.

Gerry

Miro

You are right -

I should pay more attention to the warnings when I compile.

Even after I have moved new code around locally I still missed it.

Thank you very much.

Miro