do email spiders and javascript

Tony

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any idea whether the "modern" email spiders are
capable to understand javascript. If one makes a search with google
one finds out that it is widely believed that email spiders only read
the html code and so it is trivial to hide email addresses from them
using javascript. But is that so? One of our system engineers here
that they do read JS and even says that they nowadays directly look at
what appears on the screen ?!? Sounds like impossible to me...

regards,
Tony

Jim Ley

But is that so? One of our system engineers here
that they do read JS and even says that they nowadays directly look at
what appears on the screen ?!? Sounds like impossible to me...

It's trivial, I wrote one back 3 years ago at least, I'm sure there
are others about.

Jim.

Tony

Apparently, a program called EFGrabber can decode Javascript-encoded
addresses.

Thanks for the answers. So wnat about server-side scripting? Would
that be a (better) approach to fight these bugs.

Tony

Michael Winter

Thanks for the answers. So wnat about server-side scripting? Would that
be a (better) approach to fight these bugs.

If you want to guarantee that spam-bots can't get your e-mail address,
don't put it on a web page. Use form mail to create contact pages. Your
host should provide a script[1]. If not, Google for one - there are plenty
of free services.

Mike

[1] Decent scripts use usernames, not your address. Check how it needs to
be used.