    new machine, do I need IIS or is there some other utility I can use to make
    this possible? XP Pro...(sans IIS)

    Thanks

    James, Jun 28, 2005

  2. James

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "James" <>
    writing in news:ebmeWt$:

    > If I want to just run basic ASP scripts and set up virtual directories
    > on a new machine, do I need IIS or is there some other utility I can
    > use to make this possible? XP Pro...(sans IIS)
    >
    > Thanks

    AFAIK, you will need IIS, or if you decide to put use something else, like
    Apache, you will have to add plug-ins to run ASP scripts. Why not go
    native and use IIS?

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, Jun 28, 2005

  3. James

    James Guest

    I would much prefer to. Unfortunately my nephew ran over my XP Pro CD with
    a chair last weekend, which left it less than operable. I'm sure I have a
    backup of it somewhere. Probably best to use IIS anyway.

    James, Jun 28, 2005
  4. James wrote:

    > If I want to just run basic ASP scripts and set up virtual directories on a
    > new machine, do I need IIS or is there some other utility I can use to make
    > this possible? XP Pro...(sans IIS)

    XP Professional has IIS 5.1 as a possible install so simply install it.
    And yes, you need IIS if you want to do classic ASP. ASP.NET can be done
    with Cassini if needed but on Win XP Professional I would also use IIS
    for ASP.NET.

    --

    Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Jun 28, 2005
  5. James

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "James" <>
    writing in news:OZReax$:

    > I would much prefer to. Unfortunately my nephew ran over my XP Pro CD
    > with a chair last weekend, which left it less than operable. I'm sure
    > I have a backup of it somewhere. Probably best to use IIS anyway.

    I have a 19mo toddler that seems to love trying to turn off my system, of
    course, when I'm in the middle of coding something very complicated. Then
    he smiles when he has succeeded.

    Adrienne, Jun 28, 2005
  6. James

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:13:40 -0400, "James" <>
    wrote:

    >I would much prefer to. Unfortunately my nephew ran over my XP Pro CD with
    >a chair last weekend, which left it less than operable. I'm sure I have a
    >backup of it somewhere. Probably best to use IIS anyway.

    Take a look at:

    How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or
    Hardware:

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jun 28, 2005