Do I need IIS?

James

If I want to just run basic ASP scripts and set up virtual directories on a
new machine, do I need IIS or is there some other utility I can use to make
this possible? XP Pro...(sans IIS)

Thanks

Adrienne

If I want to just run basic ASP scripts and set up virtual directories
on a new machine, do I need IIS or is there some other utility I can
use to make this possible? XP Pro...(sans IIS)

Thanks

AFAIK, you will need IIS, or if you decide to put use something else, like
Apache, you will have to add plug-ins to run ASP scripts. Why not go
native and use IIS?

James

I would much prefer to. Unfortunately my nephew ran over my XP Pro CD with
a chair last weekend, which left it less than operable. I'm sure I have a
backup of it somewhere. Probably best to use IIS anyway.

Martin Honnen

James said:
If I want to just run basic ASP scripts and set up virtual directories on a
new machine, do I need IIS or is there some other utility I can use to make
this possible? XP Pro...(sans IIS)

XP Professional has IIS 5.1 as a possible install so simply install it.
And yes, you need IIS if you want to do classic ASP. ASP.NET can be done
with Cassini if needed but on Win XP Professional I would also use IIS
for ASP.NET.

Adrienne

I would much prefer to. Unfortunately my nephew ran over my XP Pro CD
with a chair last weekend, which left it less than operable. I'm sure
I have a backup of it somewhere. Probably best to use IIS anyway.

I have a 19mo toddler that seems to love trying to turn off my system, of
course, when I'm in the middle of coding something very complicated. Then
he smiles when he has succeeded.