Do Windows Python 2.3 extensions require MS Visual Studio?

dbrown2

Since Python 2.3 I'm seeing this error message when trying to install
an extension using gnu compilers. Is this a new requirement for the
Windows binary version?

Who builds the installer for Windows? I'm not sure where to report
this and didn't see any credits or feedback link in the installer
itself.
python setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
error: Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions need to
be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't

-- David

John J. Lee

Since Python 2.3 I'm seeing this error message when trying to install
an extension using gnu compilers. Is this a new requirement for the
Windows binary version?

I'd guess it's not a new requirement, but just a new check that breaks
building extensions with mingw. I presume it was added for people who
accidentally build with MSVC 7 and find they get weird crashes.

Who builds the installer for Windows? I'm not sure where to report
this and didn't see any credits or feedback link in the installer
itself.
[...]

Check on SF to make sure it's not already reported, and report it
there if not.

I think Thomas Heller built the 2.3.2 installer, but he probably
doesn't want to be emailed directly about it.

John

John J. Lee

Dave, see the other thread you started for what I hope is the answer
to this.

John

dbrown2

John (and others),

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check around and look at SF
(sourceforge?) for bug reports. I've removed and reinstalled using
the very latest 2.3.2 binary installer because of the reported dll
issue and also to make sure everything is perfectly clean. Once I get
my setup back in order I'll try your idea.

-- David