Do you need a cert to make a gem?

Paul Bergstrom

I'm trying to learn how to make my own gem. I just wondered about
certificates. Do I need it, if it's just for my own use on my own
server?

Jeremy Bopp

I'm trying to learn how to make my own gem. I just wondered about
certificates. Do I need it, if it's just for my own use on my own
server?

No, a certificate is only required if you want to sign your gem, and
signing a gem, especially when used privately, is completely optional.

-Jeremy

Quintus

John Barnette

Interesting. I didn't know it was even possible to sign a gem. I already
have a PGP/GnuPG key pair, can you point me to a rescource describing
how to correctly sign a gem? I suppose it's similar to signing Debian
packages?

Best place to start is `gem help cert`.

~ j.