Do you need to use Java script in ASP .Net?

Jerry

Hi, Experts,
With the great functionalities in ASP .net, do we still need to use
JavaScript? Thanks

Jerry

Alvin Bruney

You don't 'have to' use javascript in the page. you can always use
attributes and code behind to emit javascript, or stream the javascript from
the server. with that said, it's often easier just to write the javascript
in the page itself. Clientside stuff will always be rendered with javascript
or whatever the scripting language is. that's the nature of the beast but
..net has removed a lot of the hassle.

Jerry

Steve and Alvin, thank you for your reponses. Then I will embed the
Javascripts in web forms when necessary. Thanks again.

Jerry

Kevin Spencer

Another point: An ASP.Net is an application with both server-side and
client-side functionality. Good development technique dictates that one
should make the best possible use of resources both on the client and on the
server. Anything you can put on the client to process is going to save you a
bunch of resources on the server, as the client is only processing for
itself, while the server is processing for ALL clients, which can be quite a
few if your web site has any traffic at all. JavaScript is a vital aspect of
ASP.Net technology (how else could you use ViewState, for one?). Disabling
it, or trying to do without it, is counter-productive.

HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
Internet Developer