Documentation about ruby-openssl

Brian Candler

I=C3=B1aki Baz Castillo said:
Hi, is there somewhere good documentation about ruby-openssl API? or
any good tutorial? The RDOC is hard to read:

http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/openssl/rdoc/index.html

Probably best just to look at some code which uses it. Net::HTTPS would =

be a good start for a TLS client. For TLS server, I did some =

reverse-engineering to build ruby-ldapserver, and now I use that as my =

reference implementation :)
PD: Is there any other alternative to ruby-openssl?

Depends what you want to do.

ruby's ext/openssl is just a thin wrapper around the openssl library. If =

you want to do things like open and accept TLS sessions, it's your main =

option. I don't know if alternatives like GNU-TLS have been wrapped for =

ruby.

However, if you want to do things like symmetric encryption, there are =

quite a few other libraries.

-- =

Iñaki Baz Castillo

2011/5/5 Brian Candler said:
Probably best just to look at some code which uses it. Net::HTTPS would
be a good start for a TLS client. For TLS server, I did some
reverse-engineering to build ruby-ldapserver, and now I use that as my
reference implementation :)

Then I'll check it :)

Depends what you want to do.

ruby's ext/openssl is just a thin wrapper around the openssl library. If
you want to do things like open and accept TLS sessions, it's your main
option. I don't know if alternatives like GNU-TLS have been wrapped for
ruby.

However, if you want to do things like symmetric encryption, there are
quite a few other libraries.

I just want openssl to check certificates (verify that they are signed
by a CA and so).
I've already tested ruby-openssl a bit doing such stuff (loading a
cert, loading a CA, veriy the cert with the public key of the CA... it
seems to work ok) :)

--=20
I=C3=B1aki Baz Castillo
<[email protected]>