Documentation on the <%# %> syntax?

Guest

I am relatively new to the world of ASP .NET programming. So I really don't understand much of the code in the WebForms HTML View. The rendering "<%# %>" syntax does not make much sense to me. I suspect it comes form the ASP classic world which I have never worked in. I cannot only documentation on it in the MSDN Library for Visual Studio. I have been able to get by for the past year coding WebForms in Design View and now want to learn to code in HTML View

Thanks in Advance..

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Steve,

The documentation is there but hard to find unless you know where to look.
(I've complained about the crummy MS search engine that refuses to recognize
ASP.NET syntax such as <%# and so on.)

Here's where you can get details:

Data Binding Expression Syntax
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/e...condatabindingexpressionsyntax.asp?frame=true

Code Render Blocks
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpgenref/html/cpconCodeRenderBlocks.asp?frame=true

Does this help?

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Guest

The <%# and the %> outline the asp code in a html document. I good site for beginners would b

http://www.w3schools.co

The have a lot of stuff for beginners to many languages, and I often find myself going there for reference occasionally =)

clintonG

Those references were useful. Thanks Ken.

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET (e-mail address removed)

Steve Kallal said:
I am relatively new to the world of ASP .NET programming. So I really don't
understand much of the code in the WebForms HTML View. The rendering "<%#
%>" syntax does not make much sense to me. I suspect it comes form the ASP
classic world which I have never worked in. I cannot only documentation on
it in the MSDN Library for Visual Studio. I have been able to get by for
the past year coding WebForms in Design View and now want to learn to code
in HTML View.

Thanks in Advance...

Bonj

I find the HTML editor absolutely invaluable - I couldn't live without it!
HTML is also a language to be respected as any other, even though it is
largely a declarative rather than procedural language, and is very
powerful...if you understand HTML it is very useful indeed - it has full
intellisense that always works aswell which is extra useful