DocumentBuilder.parse() returns "[#Document: null]" Document

Discussion in 'Java' started by Mike, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I've written some XML parsing code that works well on my Tomcat 4 /
    JRE 1.4 development server, but fails on my Web Logic 8 / JRE 1.3
    server.

    This is the code:
    // Create a builder factory
    DocumentBuilderFactory factory = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance();
    factory.setValidating(validating);

    // Create the builder and set error handler class
    DocumentBuilder builder = factory.newDocumentBuilder();
    builder.setErrorHandler(new BasicErrHandler());

    // Create the doc by parsing the file
    Document doc = builder.parse(new File(filename));

    Things are fine on my Tomcat server, but on the Web Logic server, the
    Document object "doc" is a bunch of empty nodes, and has a very
    strange toString() value of "[#document: null]".

    I've searched high and low, and the only reference to this I've found
    was solved by somebody who said "well it turns out that a
    mis-configuration of my fire-wall blocked attempts to call local
    urls...".

    ....But why would DocumentBuilder.parse() need to call local URLs? The
    XML file, although it contains a DTD, is just a standard hierarchical
    collection of TextNodes.

    Has anybody ever seen this?

    Thank you... --Mike.

    Mike, Sep 6, 2003