    --
    Dirk

    http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Mar 26, 2011

  2. On 11-03-26 03:32 PM, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    > Is there a documenting tool somewhere that draws out the method calls in
    > diagrammatic form? That can show you a graphical representation of your
    > program?

    With all due respect, if you wanted static or dynamic diagrams of your
    code, you should have had them before you ever wrote a line of code.

    It's not too late to start: get a decent UML program and diagram (there
    are several useful UML diagrams that show method calls) what your code
    *should* do. Then compare that to what code inspection tells you about
    your code's actual behaviour.

    You could reverse engineer your existing stuff. I'd counsel against it,
    mainly because it will be fundamentally useless material.

    If I misunderstand you, and you are going about this the right way, and
    looking to design first, then I apologize in advance. As far as UML
    diagramming tools go, I'd myself recommend Visio (or an equivalent
    drawing tool like Omnigraffle on Mac OS X), that is about the _drawing_.
    I do *not* recommend design tools that can generate code or that
    "understand" a specific programming language. Also, if you go with UML,
    keep it simple and stick to the interesting application behaviours.

    AHS
    --
    That's not the recollection that I recall...All this information is
    certainly in the hands of the auditor and we certainly await his report

    Arved Sandstrom, Mar 26, 2011

  3. In article <>,
    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <> wrote:

    > Is there a documenting tool somewhere that draws out the method calls
    > in diagrammatic form? That can show you a graphical representation of
    > your program?

    For static analysis, I like Xcode's Quick Model capability:

    <http://developer.apple.com/technologies/tools/whats-new.html>

    For a dynamic peek, I use NetBeans' debugger or jvisualvm:

    <http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/share/jvisualvm.html>

    But sometimes I just look at the Trees, e.g.:

    <http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/swing/package-tree.html>

    --
    John B. Matthews
    trashgod at gmail dot com

    John B. Matthews, Mar 26, 2011
  4. Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

    Alex Mentis Guest

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

    > Is there a documenting tool somewhere that draws out the method calls
    > in diagrammatic form? That can show you a graphical representation of
    > your program?

    I'm not sure if it provides the visualizations you're looking for, but
    you might check out jGRASP (http://www.jgrasp.org/).

    Alex Mentis, Mar 26, 2011
  5. On 26/03/2011 18:57, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
    > On 11-03-26 03:32 PM, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    >> Is there a documenting tool somewhere that draws out the method calls in
    >> diagrammatic form? That can show you a graphical representation of your
    >> program?
    >>

    > With all due respect, if you wanted static or dynamic diagrams of your
    > code, you should have had them before you ever wrote a line of code.
    >
    > It's not too late to start: get a decent UML program and diagram (there
    > are several useful UML diagrams that show method calls) what your code
    > *should* do. Then compare that to what code inspection tells you about
    > your code's actual behaviour.
    >
    > You could reverse engineer your existing stuff. I'd counsel against it,
    > mainly because it will be fundamentally useless material.
    >
    > If I misunderstand you, and you are going about this the right way, and
    > looking to design first, then I apologize in advance. As far as UML
    > diagramming tools go, I'd myself recommend Visio (or an equivalent
    > drawing tool like Omnigraffle on Mac OS X), that is about the _drawing_.
    > I do *not* recommend design tools that can generate code or that
    > "understand" a specific programming language. Also, if you go with UML,
    > keep it simple and stick to the interesting application behaviours.

    Currently looking at UML addon for Eclipse

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Apr 2, 2011